Bumble Foot- I Did It!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Oct 3, 2011.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Yesterday evening I went into the chicken coop, and for the very first time, I seen a bumble foot. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I was reading the treatment, such as draining the abscess? Oyyyyyyy! I didn't think I could do. I put antiseptic on it, and checked it this morning. Well...I finally said, heck with it, I'm gonna do it. So I took a sterile needle, a very slim one and sharp one (used for making jewelry, cause thats what I do with seed beads), and I poked it and the pus starting running out. Afterwards, I placed more neosporin on it, and covered it with gauze and tape and placed her in a big cage by herself. I'm so proud of myself. [​IMG]
    I'm normally not queasy about things like that but she is one of my favorite hens, and I was afraid I would hurt her. [​IMG] So root for me guys! Should I change the dressing everyday, and how long should I keep her in the cage by herself? The cage is right next to her coop, so she can see and hear everybody. [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Good job! I recommend that when you change the gauze tomorrow, soak her foot for about 15-20 minutes in warm epsom salts water. Then squeeze the heck out of her footpad to ensure ALL the infection is out. There'll be some blood but dont worry about it. The key is getting all the yellow goop out of the footpad. Once you're done, pack it like you did the first time and wrap it up. Leave it wrapped for 2 days then remove everything and reapply neosporin on it with gauze and wrap it up again. Remove it 2 days later and it should be completely healed, then let her go.

3. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! I am so impressed. Call me chicken, (ahem) but I am not sure if I can do it! Like you, I wouldn't want to hurt one of my pullets. You were really brave and we can tell how much you care for your animals. Proud of you, sister! [​IMG]

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I am so proud of you! [​IMG]
    Now, if you see a black scab, that means there is a core in there that is going to HAVE to come out, otherwise you won't get rid of the bumblefoot. That is really not hard either. If you did what you have so far, you should be able to do that also. Google bumblefoot at the top right hand corner of the page. There are alot of threads on bumblefoot.

5. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you to everyone. I think I already seen that scab? So do I just take it off? [​IMG]

6. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    You are going to have to take a really sharp instrument and cut around that scab. Then you're going to pull it out. It's like a hard yellowish whitish plug. That is the core. Chickens encapsulate their infection, and it forms a core. It is usually staph. Make sure you keep your hands clean after you work with her. If you have any cuts, scratches, etc, I would recommend you wear gloves. Make sure you pack the hole with neosporin, and wrap it with vet wrap to keep it clean and dry. It also helps to soak in Epsom Salts. Change the bandage every other day until it's healed. There is lots more info on the bumblefoot thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by