Bumble foot in 2 month old chick

Dyecoop

Hatching
Feb 10, 2015
Hello, I have a 2 month old chick that was pecked severely on her comb and her feet by 3 other chicks that were a bit larger and had different comb shape and coloring. I separated her from them, and have nursed her back to normal. She was pretty beat up for the first week, when I noticed that she had a puss bubble on each foot. Now those spots have dried and scabbed over. I am not sure if it will clear up on its own, or if there is something I can do to avoid cutting it out. I personally can't bear the thought of doing that sort of procedure. Any help, natural remedies is greatly appreciated. Thanks

You may want to also post under emergencies.

There is a long but good thread on this subject: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/923473/a-flock-with-bumblefoot-journey-back-to-health/150

But most info on bumble foot is about grown chickens.

Bumble foot is a staph, bacterial infection. I think you need to clean the areas and see if you can get a topical antibiotic to treat it. I would not try cutting it out. Make sure you wash your hands and isolate the chick til you get it under control.

If you post under emergencies with photos of the feet, you will likely get more experienced advice.

If it is bumble foot, you will need to open it up, drain any fluid inside and remove the seed (which looks like a dried up, brown kernel of corn, yuck). If you don't get that hard part out, it'll just keep coming back. I've never had a case of bumble, but I've read up on it just in case I did.
Unfortunately, these types of things are a part of dealing with living creatures. At some point they're going to injure themselves or have issues for some reason or another, and you've just gotta do what you've gotta do.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom