Bumble foot in Quail remedy

Pequena ave

Chirping
Feb 1, 2021
Canada
Bumble foot in Quail what I have learned, this should also work with chickens, etc. I soaked the foot in warm Epsom salt water bath and wrapped it back up, I did this a number of times to help get the sore to soften up. Unfortunately, this quail and a few more were next for the dinner table, after dispatched, I started to pry at the edges of the sore all the way around and the WHOLE PLUG came out, I was left with a very nice and clean hole in the foot. The infection comes out in one piece, no digging and cutting the surrounding tissue, I cannot comment on how much it would have bleed if it were alive, but I have seen where other people are cutting around the sore into the tissue of the chicken’s foot, I can just imagine the pain. I have had other bumble foot before this (dinner) bird and I know it bleeds a lot but seeing what I saw with the last quail I’m sure the process would still work, hence a lot of blood when pulling the plug out then pressure and bandage.

I used warm Epsom salt water bath for another quail for a leg injury with infection, I removed the white hard infection blob from under the skin and the Epsom salt halts the blood loss when soaking the leg in the water bath, I think it helps to coagulate the blood faster? just something I noticed, as I take it out of the bath the bleeding increases. Epsom salt water bath also helps with cleansing the wound before bandaging.

Just my take on what has worked for me with Bumble foot. Hopefully there is no more need to cut into the surrounding tissue of quail or chickens feet, or any bird, it’s a plug that will just come out and the tissue (hole) inside the foot is very neat, it just needs to heal over with TLC. I will try and attach pics and see if it works. The plug is at the bottom between the 2 toes

Attachments

• Bumble foot on quail.jpg
    Bumble foot on quail.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 85
The case for chickens that bumblefoot that I treated I never needed to cut. Sometimes it took 30-45 minutes of warm epson soaking. Soak and lightly pick soak and lightly pick repeat repeat. When done I ended up with scab and corn piece with some times puss coming out. Not much blood if you aren’t try to force the issue.
Biggest thing with bumblefoot is finding the cause. For me it was rocks I had put around the coop so i wasn’t walking in mud come wet weather or spring time thaw. Removed the rocks and bumblefoot issue was gone.
I hope you find why you’re getting it in the first place.

In my experience you need to remove the entire kernel, but I often see people claim their vet gave antibiotics and didn’t remove the kernel inside. What’s the deal with this? Shouldn’t vets know? My vet knew when I took a parrot I rescued, they removed the kernel, gave antibiotics and bam, problem solved. I’m a city person, our vets don’t see many chickens and poultry, but still knew.

Back
Top Bottom