Bumble foot. Need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Magpie-ah, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Magpie-ah

Magpie-ah Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    Bumble foot. Need help ASAP!

Hello, I have recently rescued a lovely hen, who I have named Ruberta, from the animal sanctuary that I volunteer at. I have noticed a rather large lump in between her toes forming on her feet. I a quite sure that it is bumble foot. I have done loads of research yet I have still no clue what to do.

I am only 15 and my dad seems to have little interest on the welfare of this one chicken. I have no idea on where to get the antibiotics needed to help her, and I am rather unprepared and unexperienced to perform surgery. I have tried to find the things needed to help her but I have had no luck. Where is the best place to buy the medicine. I haven't enough money to go to the vet as I have none and my dad is reluctant to help and isn't doing anything about it. One option I can think about is asking the sanctuary I got her from if they can help. Considering I work there, they may be prepared to offer treatment. What is the best way to treat the illness? I think that it is fairly early on and not too serious yet, but I would hate to make her feel the pain of Having surgery. how long before it becomes really serious, possibly even fatal?

She is a wonderful bird, who I really love. I don't know what I would do if anything bad happened to her. I will try and get some pictures of her foot if it would be helpful. All advice much appreciated... Many many thanks.....

Magpie.ah X

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to BYC Magpie! Here is a link (it's long but explains everything) http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html Maybe you can get help at work. If not, why not ask a science or biology teacher at your school? Maybe you could bring it in after school for treatment and then make a presentation about it to your science or English class with pics and everything. Take a pic of your bird, explain her problem at school and see if you are allowed to ask for small donations from interested students for her medicine and supplies. You never know, all you can do is ask. *talk to teacher or Principal first* Let us know what happens.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. Magpie-ah

Dec 10, 2014
    Thanks for the great advice. I will try :) do you know where to buy the medicine and supplies? Thanks again :) x

4. Magpie-ah

Dec 10, 2014
    My dad gave me some money today to help the hen, with which I bought some Epsom salts to bath her feet in and some poultry wound cream, which I thought may help her fight the infection. I bathed her feet in the Epsom salt water solution and they my dad held her whilst I put the cream on the bottom of her feet. As expected, there were the big black scabs on the bottom of her feet. The next thing I did may not of been the right thing but the water had softened her skin and I was able to gently pull out the scab with some tweesers, attached to the scab was the large lump which I guessed was the infection. Next I bathed her foot again before reapplying the cream. I think that she is ok now but I am not sure. There wasn't any blood. The flesh inside the hole looks healthy and there was nothing left inside. Is she alright now? Has it been cured? We will be keeping a close eye on her feet. Thank you for the advice and the support. :) x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by