Bumble foot or not bumble foot. HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animalwild, Feb 1, 2015.

1. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    Ltely I've been researching bumble foot and when I was out in the coop I noticed that the back of one of my chickens foot was kinda black and it looked a bit swollen and then I saw it on another chicken. Is this really bumble foot or am I just super worried about my chickens getting it. I will try to get phots on.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Without pictures it would just be a guess. Are your birds exhibiting lameness?

3. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    No, not that I can tell they all walk normal. The breed is Rhode Island Red and I have Wyandottes, but I'm mainly worried about my reds.

4. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    Would the normal underside of a chickens foot kinda have a bubble type thing but like not huge and swollen.[​IMG]Don't know what to do.

5. SCarolina Chick

SCarolina Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    Summerville, SC
    I too was thinking my acquired (rescued) silkie was limping due to bumblefoot. I took her with me to Fl. Keys to be able to soak her foot that I thought had bumblefoot. I will show some pictures, but a silkie's foot is so different than the average chicken's foot. After many days of soaking and removing a core like lump, I was told it was probably just an infected feather. I still don't know for sure what it was. I do feel that she either was born with a disfigured foot or she broke some bones in it. Any thoughts on it?
    [​IMG]

6. SCarolina Chick

Jan 30, 2015
    Summerville, SC
    This is about the previous reply and the picture of the silkie's foot.
    The silkie foot picture is before the core was removed. She still limps and the foot has a hard boney feeling lump in the middle of it. She scratches with it but when she walks she kinda skips when that foot is placed forward.

7. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    Ok that I know for sure is bumble foot I'm like 95% positive thats bumble foot, but that looks nothing like my chickens feet.

8. SCarolina Chick

Jan 30, 2015
    Summerville, SC
    I opened it up and removed a hard core, but she still has a limp and that foot is much narrower than her other foot. In case you didn't know, silkies have 5 toes but each of her feet look so different than the other. Now her, "good" foot has a small round object on the bottom of it, but she doesn't limp on it.

9. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    If you removed a hard core that is most likely bumble foot from what I read and they probably still would have a limp for a bit because of the pain. If you find anything else out make sure to tell me.

10. goldeneye girl

goldeneye girl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    Give the chicken penasilen g on the oppaset side of the keel bone to kill the infection then you cut out the infected spot on its foot make sure you get it or it will come back[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by