Bumble foot/staph infection??? Hen laying on her side a week after treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ababonich, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ababonich

ababonich New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    Hi all! I noticed that my hen had a swollen foot and was beginning to limp. Checked her feet and noticed the black scab typical of bumble foot. So proceeded to attempt treatment. Cut off scab, squeezed and sprayed with vetricyn. Then wrapped with bet wrap. Didn't get a kernel out. Didn't know how far to cut so thought we'd see if what we'd done would work. She was still sore on that foot and would only walk quickly on her feet while assisting with flapping her wings. It has been 6 days now. She has not been able to walk at all for the last 3 days. She lays on her side with her legs out. Sometimes her legs appear to be shaking.

She is eating and drinking well. And is bright eyed. We have to bring food and water to her as she cannot stand. If we hold her up, she falls over she tries to move around by scooting on her bum or basically flopping around. She often sits on her haunches with her legs out front.

Don't know if we didn't treat the bumble foot enough...and perhaps the staph has spread?? Or if she has something else? I wouldn't know what it would look like if the staph has reached her leg bone (which all I've read basically means that she's run out of luck at that point).

The fact that she drinking and eating and accepting treats readily suggest that she's still feeling alright...she's just not walking????[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I did notice that the scales on her 'good' leg seemed to be separated a little right at the ankle...

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Do you have pictures of the foot, both bottom and wherever else swelling is, and also do you have a picture of the scale issue you're seeing?
    That might help with getting more targeted advice.

Some other trouble-shooting: How did you wrap the foot? Did you put a square of gauze and wrap with roll gauze under the vet wrap with some antibiotic ointment (like the plain variety of Neosporin) to provide more padding? Has the wrap been changed regularly so debris is cleared out and doesn't re-aggravate the affected area or become infected since the original procedure?

3. ababonich

ababonich New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    thank you!! I was not able to upload pics from my mobile phone but am including the couple I have now. I will take more pics of her foot tomorrow and post those.

scab was covered with gauze soaked in Vetricyn and then wrapped with vet wrap over top. Changed daily. didn't seem too dirty when changing. scab seemed to look better, but the pad of the food still does not seem to be soft. Checked to make sure the vet wrap wasn't too tight (so that it didn't cut off circulation).

At first, she could walk somewhat. When she did she looked like someone running over hot coals...running quickly as though trying to be light on her feet. Now she won't walk at all. Spends most of her time laying on her side (as seen in this pic). she often tries to brace herself in the corners of the coop to provide more support.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    will post more pics tomorrow. of the foot without the bandage. as well as the other leg where the scales seem to be loose at the ankle....perhaps the epsom salt baths and betadiene water she soaked in dried out her scales???

Henny Penny is 1.5 years old and a great layer! She even layed an egg the first couple of days. we found them on the coop floor (highly unusual) because she could not make it up to the nesting box. I have not had any eggs from her for the last 3 days.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  4. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Oooohhhh- poor, poor baby!

I came across a thread with a great suggestion that might help her mobility. (link below) Essentially you're building her a little shoe cushion so the scab area doesn't get her weight when she walks. There are a couple ways to go about making one- one suggestion was pipe insulation (the gray foam stuff, probably 1/2", maybe 3/4"??) wrapped in vetwrap that already has the hole in the middle- vet wrap the pipe insulation, apply it to the foot, then wrap her foot like you've been doing- your wrap job looks good!. If it seems like you need more height to the ring, I'd suggest the flatter version of a hose ring, then put the foam insulation on top of it, then vet wrap the foam insulation and hose ring together... the part with the foam is the part that would face her foot. Specifically, post #1, 3, 8, 18, 22, 27 (most like your situation) are most applicable- if you're short on time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/915880/bumblefoot-cure

Another idea for short-term pain relief once you've got the ring in place is aspirin. Giving her baby aspirin (81mg, I like the chewable variety) for a couple of days while the soreness hopefully starts to go away from trying to walk on it as is. If she'll eat it whole in a grape or blueberry, or crushed into some plain yogurt or other favorite treat... if she likes yogurt that will help with probiotics -- whenever I give something like aspirin, I try to have probiotics too so it doesn't throw their digestive system off. Probios is my favorite, but yogurt is good too.

The idea behind the ring etc. is that whatever caused the bumblefoot works its way down while not causing pain to the chicken-- and if there isn't anything that needs to come down, hopefully the cushion lets her regain her mobility and lets the pad heal. I would probably stop the soak at this point-- but feel free to poke around other threads to make your decision about that -- and see if gravity and some platform shoes will help her along.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  5. ababonich

ababonich New Egg

Jul 30, 2016
    oh thank you!! maybe that could work! appreciated.

Here are the pics i promised. after looking more carefully, maybe she also has leg mites????[​IMG]
    PICS of the 'good' leg
    [​IMG]
    Is this mites?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    right foot is the treated bumble foot. left leg foot pad seems fine

[​IMG]
    top of both feet

I have brought Henny Penny into the house. I will have to give her a bath as she has poo stuck all over her butt from being on her bum/side for so long.

She happily ate and drank. gobbles up some cucumbers. she's very alert. but does not like laying with her feet underneath her. She still wants them off to the side,

[​IMG]

6. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I haven't (knock on wood, fingers crossed) had to deal with leg mites- it seems like usually it's both legs when it happens, but it's worth poking around the leg mite threads about it - maybe she's hit some things awkwardly in her lack of mobility causing some issues with the leg scales? If you have to bathe her anyways, then definitely find what could work for both cleaning her up and about potential mites- I know there's a toothbrush involved! It also might be worth sending up a separate thread about that leg.

Since she's not wanting her feet under her, I would work on getting the aspirin going for her- not sure of her size (and there's aspirin dosing info all over the place) I gave our 5lb cockerel one in the AM one in the PM -- was a miscellaneous unknown injury, not bumblefoot or mites, but he was hoping on one foot and using a wing instead of his foot. (fine now). Obviously there's pain or she'd be up and going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by