Bumble Foot...sugar/iodine mixture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Causin Chaos, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    This is a hen I have. Im pretty sure its bumble foot. We soak her foot in epson salt for 10-15 mins every day. This is day 3 pics. I also apply a sugar iodine mixture and warp it up. It does look some better but I was wondering if this is what it should look like on day three? How long should I continue doing this? I read somewhere do this for 5 days then leave it on for 2 days but after that I dont know. So if you have done this let me know what you think. Thanks teresa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You've got to cut it open, squeeze and drain out all of the puss, WASH it. THEN... we put on neosporin and then the Iodine/sugar mix and then WE RAP IT with gauze and tape.

3. Causin Chaos

Aug 3, 2009
    If I cut it open where should I cut? In the top middle of the scab? Also how deep should I cut?

4. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Try opening it up with a big needle, like it was a blister.

Make the iodine and sugar into a paste, apply it to a guaze pad, place it over the area and wrap it up. Change it daily.

A good article on iodine and sugar..........Sugardine
    http://www.lesspub.com/s3/site/pdf/afj/_Sugar_dine.pdf

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thanks for that link!

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Here's a link to my Bumblefoot thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

I don't know if that's bumblefoot but I do know it needs to be lanced open and cleaned immediately. Follow all the steps in the thread. I would use a razor and cut right across the top at the highest point of swelling.

Infections in chickens abcess and turn into hard rubbery/cheesy "stuff". You can't drain it out with a needle and it won't reabsorb into the bird.

FYI - Bumblefoot almost always has a black scab on the bottom of the foot. They can swell between the toes but the black scab is still there on the bottom of the foot. If your bird doesn't have it on the bottom of its foot, you can ignore that part of the thread but still lance and clean and treat that awful wound following instructions.

Good luck.

7. Causin Chaos

Aug 3, 2009
    We are going to lance it today. If I can get up enough courage...lol Im pretty sure its bumble foot and she does have a scab on the bottom. Its not real big though. I will let you know what we get out of it tonight. Wish me luck!!! Thanks for all the help. Teresa

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Teresa, I wouldn't bother going through the bottom of the foot (like in the thread I sent you) unless the bottom pad is also swollen - I think it settled there in between her toes and you just need to work on that spot - but I wouldn't wait. It looks pretty bad.

9. Causin Chaos

Aug 3, 2009
    We worked on it. The scab was really hard but we made a hole in it. We are going to soak it some tomorrow and see if we can get the scab completely off. I put antibotic on it and wraped it up. A chunk of scab came off the back and some puss came out. So I hope we are on the right path now. Thanks again Teresa

10. NattyK

NattyK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    We are dealing with bumblefoot right now too. We have some forceps that came in a first aid kit. They have been pretty handy for getting that cheesy junk out. You might try them if you have some around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by