Bumble foot... Surgery now or wait?

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
Just noticed my black copper marans hen has a swollen foot. Not sure how long she has had it. She normally has "cankles" and thick pads, but the top was swollen and she had a pea-sized scab on her pad. The flesh surrounding the wound is all normal colored, she seemed to be walking and acting normally.

She has been in molt and hasn't laid an egg in about 3 weeks, though.

Before I searched and realized what it was, I rinsed it off well with water and sprayed iodine on it, let it sit for a few minutes and sprayed with Nu-kote.

What do you think? Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the bottom. She is hard to catch and had to distract her with melon.

Could it clear or surgery tomorrow?

Just noticed my black copper marans hen has a swollen foot. Not sure how long she has had it. She normally has "cankles" and thick pads, but the top was swollen and she had a pea-sized scab on her pad. The flesh surrounding the wound is all normal colored, she seemed to be walking and acting normally.

She has been in molt and hasn't laid an egg in about 3 weeks, though.

Before I searched and realized what it was, I rinsed it off well with water and sprayed iodine on it, let it sit for a few minutes and sprayed with Nu-kote.

What do you think? Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the bottom. She is hard to catch and had to distract her with melon.

Could it clear or surgery tomorrow?
It really hard to tell.

Hopefully this link will help you decide.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Back
Top Bottom