Bumble foot surgery taken care of this morning. Owned chickens for 5 days total. UGH!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuulgrl, Oct 24, 2013.

1. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Now I know why I should have waited till spring and just ordered chicks.

We picked up 3 Isa browns on Saturday, and 3 production reds on Monday. They all integrated well. The browns were free ranging at their last home and are doing well. The reds were in a run all day and it wasn't cared for very well.

The reds have problems on their feet. One had a very bad foot so we cut the infection out this morning and packed it well. I also removed the small scab on the other foot and packed that as well. She is still eating and drinking so I'm fairly sure she's going to be fine. I'll check and work on the other 2 tonight. I think they just have small ones.

What a pain in the *****! I'm grateful that we ended up with them and they will be well cared for and loved. My husband has been wonderful with all this since I had to talk him into getting them LOL He even helped this morning, cutting, tweezing, and holding the fan up so I didn't pass out when it got to be too much.

After all that, I'm assuming that I'll need to worm them also. I just keep telling myself its worth the work and $, because they are in a happier place. The reds have already given us 7 eggs, so I can't complain to much. ;-)

(I can post a pic of the nasty ick that was removed if anyone wants to see. I know gross, but educational. My 4 yr old thought it was neat and she was happy we cared for the hen. She is also getting a kick out of the pink vetwrap on the hen. LOL)

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Boy, that sounds like one sudden in depth introduction to chicken health care. Hope Miss Sore Foot Red recovers fine after surgery. Sounds like they are laying well for you at least. Agree, it sounds like it might be best to go ahead and worm them since their care was apparently not the best, better double check if they have mites/lice also. Why not post pictures, what's another gross picture, always interesting to see how different cases look. Funny your 4yo likes the pink vet wrap.

3. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG]

I needed to be mobile for the pic anyways.

My husband was amazed at how much came out. We're both kind of worried we didn't get all of it, but we ran out of time. Hubs had to go to work. So I'll soak it tomorrow again and see if we need to do more or wait and see.

I am just glad that when I do something I jump in and learn everything I can. I've been reading on here for a couple weeks and didn't just stick to the happy posts. LOL We live by a vet that will work on chickens, we just couldn't afford it and I didn't want her to have to wait any longer to get relief.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Nothing like jumping right in and getting your feet wet, eh? Excellent job! You're ahead of the game and nothing like OJT experience to offer advice to others. Good ideas by Kelsie2290; inspect them for lice/mites and worm them. I recommend that you worm them with safeguard liquid goat wormer or safeguard equine paste. If your on a tight budget, get the paste.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Yikes, no wonder her feet hurt. That is a lot of nasty stuff you got out, bet she feels better. Do you have her on any sort of antibiotic? X2 on dawg53's suggestion of the Safe-guard wormer, you should be able to find it a any feed store in the livestock section.

6. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Thanks for the wormer recommendation, I was wondering about that. ;-)

I'll check them for lice and mites in a little bit when I take a snack out, if they let me catch them, other wise it'll have to wait till tonight at bedtime.

We all love having the chickens already! My oldest is 4 and youngest is 2 and the 3 reds follow them around the yard. My husband is enjoying them even with all the work involved so far. The hens are happy with us too. There's a compost pile about 10 feet behind the coop, they have my garden to dig in, and there is a fairly large brushy area on the back half of the property that they can hide and forage in all day.

I am kind of concerned about them digging in the neighbors compost though, it's dog poop. The browns don't go near it, but the reds dig in like it's the best thing in the world. YUCKY! I think they do this because they were digging in their own poo at their old home. At least, my neighbor likes them and is OK with them being on her property.

7. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG]

Here she is with pink feet!

8. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Cleaned, soaked, and rebandaged her feet tonight. The bad one is still swollen, but looks better. The other foot didn't look any different, but it was minor to begin with.

She didn't have any flea sacks on her feathers (I searched what to look for). There was some dirt looking stuff on her belly, but I think that might be poo from sleeping on the floor of the coop, not mites.

My husband got the hens in and out last night, this morning, and tonight, so I'll try to beat him to it in the morning to check the rest of the hens. He's been working a lot so this is his way to get the girls used to him. :)

9. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks like she is making a fashion statement, what the in chickens are wearing this fall. Chickens digging through the compost pile is usually not a problem for them, just makes a mess for us humans, they'll spread around the dog poop they find in the yard or anywhere else also, and any other kind of poo...
    It is going to take awhile for the swelling to go down on the bad foot, were you able to put her on any antibiotics? If there is any question you might want to go ahead and treat them for lice/mites anyhow.

10. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    No antibiotics. I forgot I was supposed to call the vet back today. The receptionist didn't know if they took care of bumble foot, so I had to play phone tag with the vet. I'll try tomorrow. Oops.

I'll treat them all this weekend. So tired.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by