Clydes silks

Hatching
Dec 29, 2019
My polish hen is about three years old and has bumble foot. She weighs around 5 pounds maybe even less and we've been treating her with oral amoxicillin, epsom salt soak, betadine soak, and antibiotic creams. She does not have a black scab anymore and we've popped some of the infection out. It's clear not all of it is out since it only partially healed but we don't know what to really do. It hasn't gotten any better or worse after we've popped it and the treatment's been the same. Please help with other ideas; we don't have the option to go to the vet. Our dog recently had surgery so we can't afford it. If it doesn't heal we have no choice but to butcher her.

Some cases of bumblefoot take a year or longer to get better. You're doing everything you can.

I would continue the daily water soaks and do the amoxicillin in ten-day increments at monthly intervals. Bandage with topical antibiotic ointment after every soak.

It's understandable if you haven't got the time and energy to devote yourself to long term treatment, and this case suggests it's long term.

My polish hen is about three years old and has bumble foot. She weighs around 5 pounds maybe even less and we've been treating her with oral amoxicillin, epsom salt soak, betadine soak, and antibiotic creams. She does not have a black scab anymore and we've popped some of the infection out. It's clear not all of it is out since it only partially healed but we don't know what to really do. It hasn't gotten any better or worse after we've popped it and the treatment's been the same. Please help with other ideas; we don't have the option to go to the vet. Our dog recently had surgery so we can't afford it. If it doesn't heal we have no choice but to butcher her.
I had a Leghorn hen with a difficult case of bumblefoot who responded well to clear iodine and topical triple antibiotic ointment - in addition to regular removal of the scab and pus beneath it. Her foot was also wrapped with a gauze pad with Vetrap over it to keep the antibiotic ointment in the wound and debris out. I used a dental sickle probe to tease the scab off (tweezers didn't work well for the task) and kept doing that as long as the scab looked black and the area was swollen. It took multiple treatments, but it eventually resolved the bumblefoot. Best of luck!

I had a Leghorn hen with a difficult case of bumblefoot who responded well to clear iodine and topical triple antibiotic ointment - in addition to regular removal of the scab and pus beneath it. Her foot was also wrapped with a gauze pad with Vetrap over it to keep the antibiotic ointment in the wound and debris out. I used a dental sickle probe to tease the scab off (tweezers didn't work well for the task) and kept doing that as long as the scab looked black and the area was swollen. It took multiple treatments, but it eventually resolved the bumblefoot. Best of luck!
The issue is, she has no scab on her foot and it looks as if it's healing, and a partial of her foot has. We've tried draining it but nothing comes out anymore. Nothing cheesy or liquid like, just blood. I think at this point she has a long term issue we just can't manage

Back
Top Bottom