Bumble foot treatment?

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
I recently noticed that one of my Bielefelder hens has bumble foot. Here's a pic
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 2
Common treatment is soaking in Epsom salt a few times a day for a few days. If after a few soaks you cant get it to pop out by squeezing, put a sock with a beak hole over the birds head after a soak, and tease the edges of the scab up with a scalpel. You should be able to pull the infection out with the scab. Once that's done, bandage it and keep her quiet for a few days till its healed. Theres tons of info on here about treating bumble foot

You can soak her foot in warm water for about 10 or 15 minutes to loosen that scab... Then take some tweezers or an exacto knife and rip the scab off.
Then squeeze it like a zit to get the hard pus out.

Thank you for replying!!! I've read that it's better to prevent them from roosting until the bumble foot is healed. Is that so in this case?
The less she uses the foot the better. I'd keep her in a roomy dog kennel for a while till it heals. Then make sure your roosts are smooth and they're not jumping down onto hard surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom