Bumble Foot Treatment?

CaliBlueChicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
SF Bay Area
Hello,
My 4 year old Orpington has bumblefoot. I wasn't sure what was going on. (I feel bad!! I didn't know till I saw pictures online... oiy) A couple of months ago my neighbor saw him walking funny like his leg or foot hurt and we checked him that night and couldn't find anything wrong. And the next day he seemed normal. Well, here we are today and it is a dark scab like thing on the bottom of his foot about the size of a quarter and he was walking like he was sore today, we checked him this evening and sure enough... bumblefoot :( I am not able to take him to the vet.

My questions are:

Should I preform home surgery with it being this big?

Would using Tricide Neo Powder work better for a large one? ( I just read about this stuff)

Can I get Tricide Neo Powder at the feed store?

We will be preparing for home surgery on Friday. Tomorrow I am preparing an isolation space for him. If anyone has any feedback on what worked best for them let me know. I would like to do the best I can and have him heal the quickest he can. Thank you in advance!!

Oh, I forgot. It has been so long since I have been on BYC and I look at my profile picture and it is our rooster as a young cockerel. Sweet boy :)

I've used tricide neo, it works. It takes about 5-6 days to clear up a small case of bumblefoot. It would take about 2-3 months soaking 5-7 minutes twice a day to clear up a case of large bumblefoot. I wont use trineo again; surgery is quicker and easier....and alot cheaper.
Trineo wont be found in feed stores and I never found any in tropical fish stores, had to order it online. Here's a link where you can order trineo:
http://www.koidepot.com/Tricide-Neo/Tricide-Neo-p-297.html

Thank you Dawg53. That is what I was thinking, with the size I feel like I just want to get it out and don't want to have to have him wait. Ok... gotta stomach it up...
sickbyc.gif
I can do this!

Ok so, our surgery was not text book it was hard to find what we were looking for as in the core of it. We stopped for now because the bleeding increased. He is up and walking and eating, will check on him tonight and look at site. My question is:

If you don't get all of the "bumble" out, if you give antibiotics or do the trineo stuff will it heal it up and get rid of it?

hello,

I am comparatively new to chickens and I was told originally by the vet to just observe the hen as long as she was walking all right. Since she was never limping I waited quite a while and when I had the feeling it grew I tried to drain it from the top ( not knowing yet at that point that there is a scab UNDER the foot!!) But I was not very successful and left it alone. But since I had tried to drain it with a very small syringe ( which I know now was absolutely stupid, since their puss is much to thick) there started forming a black scab also on top of the bumble. So I started researching this forum I found the tricide neo option and started it. The odd thing is that I also saw a black scab on the other foot and in spite of me soaking both feet that small one did not change, but the big bumble cleared up - here are some pics of the progression - it was gone after 3 weeks of soaking:

picture I had sent to the vet when I noticed it in summer after coming back from vacation:

after some time and about a week of soaking - notice it also has a scab on top and it seems to slowly lift itself up:

after three weeks of soaking - the day it just fell off:

foot without the bumble:

the"stuff" that fell out:

My hen never held still very well and operating was not really an option - so for the large bumble the tricide neo worked really well.
Here a pic of the other foot that had from day one only a small scab, and that did not seem to change at all. But I don't have the feeling there is any swelling underneath and she never limped at all.
Still - I tried to remove the scab and it did not want to come off in spite of the three weeks of daily soakings....

I hope these pics may help some in their decision
best of luck!

I just wanted to report an easy and fairly fast bumblefoot treatment.

I also raise goats and though my goats are healthy now there were years when we dealt with mastitis a lot. That was back in the days of not understanding the role copper plays in immune function. As a result, I always keep Today brand mastitis treatment on hand. It is specifically formulated to treat staph aureus--the same culprit in MRSA hospital infections.

I am not good at the surgery though I tried and was not successful. In desperation I reasoned that "Today" is probably absorbed topically and began covering the chicken foot, top and bottom at night when she was relatively still on the roost. It is a thick oily substance and tho it sort of oozed off, the hope was that it would be absorbed all night long.

Happy to report that her foot is getting smaller and she is back to laying every day, so I am guessing she feels better too. I figure about three tubes of the stuff is a good investment in my best layer. In mastitis treatment, the milk withdrawal is 96 hours after last treatment. I do not plan to use her eggs for a while, but am glad to see improvement with so little effort. Beats cutting.

Ellie

Back
Top Bottom