Bumble foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lleal90, Aug 11, 2018 at 6:47 PM.

Tags:
  1. Lleal90

Lleal90 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    Rhode Island
    ok so one of my ducks was limping this morning and I separated her thinking it was the result of her getting stepped on by another larger duck. I realized the leg she is raising, that foot has bumble foot. I am unable to go to the store until morning. If I soak it with Epsom salt and cut it off, can I apply a topical antibiotic just like mupirocin until the morning? Should I leave it and wait? I feel bad she can barely move around. What should I do?

CayugaJana likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

What do mean cut it off?

3. Lleal90

Lleal90 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Everyone says to cut off the scab and squeeze it out then put vetracyn. I just feel bad she feels so warm to me. I’m so mad I didn’t think of bumble foot earlier in the day. I was gonna feed her some garlic too after this just because I know it’s a natural antibiotic.

CayugaJana likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

You don’t just soak and cut it off you wait till the scab is soft enough you can peel it off then get the bumble out can you post a pic of her foot with the bumble on it. Would you rather take care of it with out cutting? We need a pic. In the mean time keep her where she can’t make it hurt more

5. Lleal90

Lleal90 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Ok. We have been soaking for about ten minutes now and she’s very relaxed in my arms. I can take a pic in about twenty? So I can just peel it and squeeze it after that? Should I be concerned about not having anything to put on it afterwards?

6. Lleal90

Lleal90 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    Rhode Island
    I just want to d what’s best for her and don’t want her to die. I’m angry at myself for not thinking it could be this earlier when the tractor supply was open

Table4Six and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    If you don’t have anything to wrap it in, I wouldn’t go digging too much. The pus is not like humans where it will ooze when squeezed like a zit. It is hard and cheesy. Sometimes the plug will be removed with the scab, but sometimes you have to dig it out. A good soaking and the removal of the scab is fine. In the meantime you can put on some neosporin WITHOUT pain relief. Keep her comfortable. Maybe make her some mash with feed and electrolytes. Gatorade would work! Good luck! Keep us posted!

Table4Six and Golden Brahma 64 like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

You may have to soak more than once you want to be able to peel off the scab with your finger and not rip good skin so soak and see how the scab is feeling if it’s not ready soak again tomorrow it usually takes 3 or more times before the scab Is ready to come off so you’ll have time to go to TSC. Your going to want to keep her in a clean environment or wrap her foot till it heals. This is once you open and get out the bumble

9. Lleal90

Lleal90 In the Brooder

May 2, 2018
    Rhode Island
    70E3137E-07EA-4330-A744-7CA42DED98E1.jpeg

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

I rather use sterile tweezers instead of squeezing since the pus is thick not runny.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: