Bumble foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PhlyinPheBee, Aug 6, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Hi there. What will happen is a bumble foot is not treated. I am going out of town for a week or so and one of my hens has it. Will it cause her to die???? Should I put her down if I will not be here to treat??? I do not want her so suffer.

Thanks.

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Definitely don't put her down. It only takes about an hour to treat bumblefoot, do a search and you'll find all sorts of "how-to" threads. If you can't get to her before you leave, she should be fine "in a week or so" and you can treat her when you get back. You didn't say how bad it was. Is there a lot of swelling or limping or did you just find a black scab? Many people find a scab and had no idea it was there or how long it had been there and the bird shows no symptoms so yes, they can do just fine with it until it starts to manifest itself in the way of swelling and limping.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
  4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    basically any chicken I ever had that got bumble foot from jumping down on hard clods or stones got over it as I never operated on them
    it is a bruise and it can get some pus in it and then after a time it hardens like a bunyon and makes them limp

It never killed any of my chickens

you can email me for any questions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: