Bumble foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lasrnmom, May 12, 2010.

1. lasrnmom

lasrnmom New Egg

May 12, 2010
    I have a road island red rooster that started 2 weeks ago with not bearing wt on leg. I think may be bumble foot, soaked & wrapped, anti-biotic ointment, gave him shot of penicillin, still not better. Any additional suggestions? I thought about lancing foot, but unsure if is bumble foot! Any other possibilities? Suggestions?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Sorry your first post has to be about a problem. I too would like to know more about how to accurately diagnose bumble foot, and how to determine if that's really what it is or if there's another cause. I think that with bumble foot you'll see a definite swelling at the bottom of the foot, maybe redness, maybe heat, and maybe a dark spot where the original injury occured. There have been other threads discussing this, even one real good one with photos showing how to do the operation & remove the infected matter. But I think you would want to know for certain what is causing the problem before you attempt the operation. Keep searching & let's hope some other more knowledgeable folks chime in here!

3. lasrnmom

lasrnmom New Egg

May 12, 2010
    [​IMG]
    this is of the foot NOT causing problems... the dk black spot was present on the injured foot and fell off with soaks & wrappings.

[​IMG]
    this is the foot that is Non weight bearing

4. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Bumblefoot is a staph infection caused by something entering the foot. It could be numerous things. The thread that was mentioned no longer exist here sadly. Although there are some folks that have had success with non-invasive soaks such as Tricide-Neo for koi fish. You can cut it out, scrape the inside of the wound out, pack with triple antibiotic ointment and vet wrap the foot.

For the bird in question ~ I am not sure that what you have is bumblefoot. I have never seen a case like that but then again I am no expert. If you do a search here for "bumblefoot" you will find tons of people discussing their methods of taking care of bumblefoot.

5. lasrnmom

lasrnmom New Egg

May 12, 2010
    thanks for the input.... i too am at a loss, i hate to put him down, but he is not up and moving, and only eats when i hold his bowls for him... he hasn't crowed in 4 days. I just want to make sure i have done what i can before we make the final decision. Not sure of the life expectancy, he is 4 years old.

6. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I hope that someone else chimes in soon. I would really like to see what others think about this one.

7. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    The scab in the picture sure does look like the typical bumblefoot scab. I have had 2 girls that have had bumblefoot before. You should at least try to open the wound and see what is inside. If it is Bumblefoot then it will have a cream colored pus substance or a 'plug' in there. now sometimes the plug is not hard it is soft and have to dig it all out. I think that 4 is young for a rooster. A friend had a rooster that was 16 when he died. I have recently come across a post on here about the neo-tricide for koi fish. I think that I will buy some and keep it on hand.

Search the site and you will find some very imformative posts on bumblefoot.

8. lasrnmom

lasrnmom New Egg

May 12, 2010
    I think in attempt to say i did everything, i will go ahead and try to open it today. Need my assistant son to get home from school! I will check on the neo-tricide when i go into town to pick up my baby ducks! I will post more later. Thanks to all!

9. Tangerine farmer

Tangerine farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Ventura CA
    I am very interested in what you find.. I am afraid to cut my very swollen chicken foot.. there is no scab on the bottom. I am in the process if giving her penicillin injections. today is the 2nd shot. I have posted this under other posts and replied to other foot questions over the past few days... but no one really has answers!

One of mine died of lameness and lack of eating, and now she has it and another is just starting. They have been on various antibiotics since Feb. and still got this.

interested in your findings in the foot!

10. lasrnmom

lasrnmom New Egg

May 12, 2010
    well my son & I did some "roo surgery"... i opened his foot in two spots, the first had nothing more than serous blood flow from, the second was able to get into a "cavity" and had again, a serous blood flow from the area. We irrigated both wounds well, applied ointment & wrapped his foot. In addition I gave him another shot of Penicillin. He tolerated all quite well, which is not good as this signifies how "run down" he is... [​IMG] We put him back in a crate with fresh bedding, food & water. Guess will see what tomorrow brings. For those who are interested i will try and keep you updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by