Bumble foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kanga77510, May 25, 2010.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    This is it, huh? The first three pics are from one of my RSL, the other two pics are from the other two RSL. I'll put them in order from worst/biggest black spot to smallest. If it is bumble foot, how easy is the operation to do by myself? My DH is out of the country doing work stuff. Should I call in an extra set of hands?

#1 a
    [​IMG]

#1 b
    [​IMG]

#1 c
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I am no expert, but it looks like bumble foot to me. If you plan on doing the surgery, I would definitely call in a second person to help, and go cautiously. There is also a post somewhere here about the use of Tricide-neo antibiotic for fish. I guess you could get that at a pond store. From what I understand, it comes as a powder, and you want to mix it up, but not get any on you. You soak the affected area for five minutes a day for one week. There have been several posters that have gotten good results with this.

3. Kanga77510

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Dora'smom :

I am no expert, but it looks like bumble foot to me. If you plan on doing the surgery, I would definitely call in a second person to help, and go cautiously. There is also a post somewhere here about the use of Tricide-neo antibiotic for fish. I guess you could get that at a pond store. From what I understand, it comes as a powder, and you want to mix it up, but not get any on you. You soak the affected area for five minutes a day for one week. There have been several posters that have gotten good results with this.

Thanks. I wonder if my vet, who is also raises chickens would help me out after hours? It's worth a shot. My poor girls. I can't seem to get a break with them.​

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    boy is that ever bumblefoot. i just got tricide neo for my ducks b-foot. you have got to check into that thread. i was/am a poster on it and will be once results start coming in. if you do surgery--trust me--you are in for a loooooooooooooooooooong haul of labor intensive follow up. and even then b-foot is hard to eradicate.
    good luck

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm so glad I've never had that here! Good luck and I hope you find some help.

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    This is one thread I book marked
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=195545&p=1
    This is the one on Tricide-Neo powder for FISH.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829&p=1
    If I were you I would go for the Tricide- Neo 2 spots on one foot. [​IMG] I have not used it but I have read on here it works well and who wants to open up and risk more infection if there is a way to do it otherwise. I only have young chicks but am looking for the Tricide-Neo now local. If needed I would pay the shipping, if I remember correctly it is about 25.00 for a mix that makes 1 gallon.
    Yep here is the link to google shopping.
    http://www.google.com/products?q=Tr...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQrQQwAg
    Good luck I would not want to be in your shoes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  7. Kanga77510

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:Just to understand you better, do the Tricide soak/rinse on one foot? No soaking and cutting with wrapping, etc etc?

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Ok best I can remember is you make up a small batch which can be used for 5 days, making sure to follow package directions and use distilled water.
    1. Clean the chickens foot/feet with water to keep the solution clean as possible.
    2. Soak chickens foot in solution for 5- 7.
    3. Rinse the foot.
    4. Apply either Neosporin or Preparation h
    5. Wrap with vet tape or if you have shoes apply them.
    Like I said I have never had to deal with bumble foot but have read lots of info on here and working on prevention as opposed to treatment.
    You could also try pming some of the people on the other thread who have tried it I am sure they can advise on how to proceed.
    Good Luck to you and let us know how it turns out. The one chicken with 2 spots on one foot and one spot on the other concerns me. I check feet every other day and have made phone calls looking for the Tricide Neo around here hoping to find it and keep in on hand if I were to ever need it. But I if I were in your shoes looking at treating several chickens I would order it and start treatment ASAP. Staph is very drug resistant and hard to cure. But the people on this board have had sucess with both methods and I am sure you can conquer this as well.

9. Kanga77510

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:Well I just ordered it and shipped UPS ground which is pretty good around here. I got the 5 gallon size, just in case. Hopefully it will let me break down the amounts into 1 gallon sizes. I'm going to try this method and hopefully avoid home surgery.

Since I have multiple birds, can I use the same dip for each bird? Or will have to give each bird her own batch?

10. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    shucks you coulda got it from koiacres for 20- with free shipping like several of us have done.........................
    that s the 1 gal size, the 5 gal. is 55 with free ship..........

Last edited: May 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by