1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bumble foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babyrnlc, Aug 6, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    It looks like we have a chicken with bumble foot (I love this site!). we are about to do the surgery (thank you for the pictures!) and I was wondering if I could use bactriban instead of neosporin, it is a prescription strength antibiotic cream. I just did not want to put something in there if it is bad. It is a our dark cornish and my mom's favorite.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm not familiar with it, but if it's similar to Neo. then I'd use it. Neo is a common product and easy to get, so I think that's part of why it's always recommended. Also, there's a thin (about 1/2-3/4 inch wide) vet tape that's great for foot wrapping afterward - it's the slightly wrinkled tan stuff, and it sticks great when wrapped. Good luck with your birds treatment [​IMG]

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Well, we did 3 chickens! I wonder if it is the concrete by the pool. I looked at all their perches and they looked fine.

Will ALL the swelling go down, ours didnt and we are not sure if we got it all or not. It still looked somewhat puffy, but we got some freaky stuff out.

Mom and I are both nurses but were were lost here lol. I watched youtube videos and read bunches, but still was a weird experience.

I used koban (which is what you were probably talking about, but ours was blue) The girls look like they have sandals on lol!

How often do you change the dressing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by