Bumble Foot????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ArtGirl, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ArtGirl

ArtGirl Chicken crazy

I saw something on the bottom of Sunny's (our duck) feet today. I'm worried that it's bumble foot but I can't tell[​IMG]. Could somebody tell me if it is and if it is what is the best way to treat it.[​IMG] Here are some pics of her feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Is she having problems walking at all? Slow moving or anything? I can see there is a little swelling around the scabs but I dont know if this is just from the photos or if the area around it is really swollen. Looks like bumblefoot to me though..[​IMG] It looks like you caught it at a really early stage. Preferably bumblefoot should be taken care of from a vet through surgery in order to remove the abscess from the chickens foot.
    [​IMG]
    Above I put a video off a chicken owner performing surgery on their own chicken after they contracted bumblefoot and he didnt have the means to get it to a vet.
    Here: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens.aspx
    He will guide you on a how to basis on how to perform the surgery. Make ABSOLUTE SURE you keep the area sanatized!!!! And I hope you the best of luck with whatever happens.

4. ArtGirl

ArtGirl Chicken crazy

I'm pretty sure that the left foot is bumble foot but I thing the right foot is just callus. What do you think?

5. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Chickens rarely get callus's no matter how much they are outside, has something to do with the padding on their feet. I still think the one on the right is the begging stages, a smaller infected area you could say

6. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    I'm definitely not an expert, but when one of my girls had bumblefoot, we cut the scab in an attempt to get the pus thing out. It would not come out, and our hen was obviously in pain, so we just cleaned the area with water(just a bit above room temperature) and applied neosporin. We also covered the foot with bandages and gauze. That did not appear to work, but we kept doing it each day. Finally, as no progression was being made, we went to the tractor supply and asked the attendant what he recommended. We purchased some yellow oily ointment(called Fura-zone I believe, meant for horses,) and put it on our chickie's foot when we got home. We first cleaned it as we had before, then applied the ointment and covered the foot with gauze and bandages again. We also gave her penicillin shots, although i can't recall how often. The bumblefoot cleared up, and our hen is now very happy. I'm not sure if either thing will work for you, for as i said before, I'm no expert, but they worked for me. Best of luck! :D

7. ArtGirl

ArtGirl Chicken crazy

OK next time we go into town I will look for that. BTW Sunny is a duck.:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by