1. duck mom 1103

duck mom 1103 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    ontario
    Hello I have a duck that I think has bumble foot. I have taken off the scab and didn't find any pus or anything that looks like infection. I have soaked his foot in Epson salt, and applied vetericyn and wrapped it. I have a few questions. 1. How to keep the duck from drinking the salt water? 2. What will it look like when it's healed? And is there anything else I should do?
    Thank you

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I don't know anything about treating bumble, but others do, so hopefully they will reply.

-Kathy

3. kianac

kianac New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
  4. kianac

kianac New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
  5. duck mom 1103

Jan 19, 2015
    ontario
    Thank-you I have posted an updated thread with pictures

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I posted on that other thread.

7. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi
    I have a duck that now has bumble. I'm wondering how did you wrap the foot? Did you just wrap the toes together?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Epsom salt water can be applied as a compress - soak a clean rag and wrap the foot and the leg, or you can put it into a small bucket or large bowl - with a flat bottom and straight sides, and stand the duck in there, holding the duck for several minutes.

I would not wrap the foot - I would put a couple of drops of clear (clear) iodine on the bumble, wait several days, soak the foot again and usually that makes a scab that softens and comes out with the kernel of the bumble with it.

9. duck mom 1103

Jan 19, 2015
    ontario
    Hi I didn't end up wrapping the foot it was too hard. I purchased duck shoes from esty and use them now. They work great!

10. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

If I don't wrap it how do I keep it from happening again?

11. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From what I understand about bumblefoot, there are a number of factors.

rough walking surface
    high number of staph bacteria
    health and immune system of the duck

The concern I have with wrapping the foot is that it could reduce the air getting to the foot and bacteria can thrive without air - especially some of the more troublesome bacteria, like the ones that cause gangrene.

So, making sure that their shelter and pen areas are not full of rough surfaces and thorns is a good thing, making sure there are no puddles of standing water in which bacteria can breed (this does not mean it has to be dry - just that it can drain), and do your best to keep the duck with fresh water and nutritious food. Even poultry vitamins twice a month if that can help.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by