1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumble foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peterandtab, Mar 2, 2015.

1. peterandtab

peterandtab New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Hi we are new to owning ducks and have six, cayugas, rouens and khaki campbells. My question is does this look like bumblefoot and if yes how do I treat it?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Not classic for bumblefoot, but there is something there.

What is the weather like where you are, what kind of shelter do they have, what kind of bedding, do they have access to water to swim in?

Not trying to intimidate, I am just wondering if it's a sign of frostbite or from walking on rough surfaces or perhaps something elseā€¦.

3. peterandtab

peterandtab New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    They're inside our garage, so the floor is concrete. We put down wood shavings in one area for they're nest but I've been having to change them everyday lately because they keep getting them soaked. Yesterday I washed they floor with vinegar and put a pallet covered with screen under they're shavings hoping it will help them from getting the shavings soaked like they've been doing. They have two heat lamps in there above the nest area and the temperature hasn't dropped below 40, thermometer is not under heat lamps. They look like calluses almost, I just don't want them to get infected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by