1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumble or sprain?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bydhatch, Mar 22, 2017.

1. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    The middle toe on my female welsh was swollen from the middle part of the toe to just where it meets the leg. It also feels a bit warm. She limps the longer she is on it and seems to be fine otherwise. Is this bumble or just a sprain?! What should i do? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    I've never had a case of bumblefoot in my flock, so no first hand experience. But it sure looks swollen in a very specific area. A sprain would be more general swelling, right? She could also have a splinter or a bite.

Calling in the infantry of advice!
    @Miss Lydia
    @casportpony
    @RavynFallen

3. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Thanks for your advice. Hoping we can figure it out!

4. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    If it is the beginning of bumblefoot or even just a sprain, I would start some basic treatment.
    1. Give her Sav-a-chick electrolytes to speed healing
    2. Wrap the foot in gauze tape for protection.
    3. Soak in epsom salt once a day before rewrapping it. You can soak a rag in warm epsom salt water and then hold in on her foot for 30-40 mins.
    4. Sprinkle some brewers yeast on her food for a while. It's a source of Niacin that is good for leg health.

Hopefully some others with experience will come along and help. But those are just some basic things that you can do that are harmless and will help no matter what is going on.

5. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Ive already started all of that but the wrapping! We will see how she does with that. [​IMG] Thanks bunches!

6. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by