Bumble surgery in the winter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Artemesia, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Artemesia

Artemesia New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    I found out that one of my little gals has a bumble, and I know what to do to get it out. My question is just that it's so cold here right now, and I don't know if I should attempt the surgery at this time of year. I'd like to get your thoughts on this matter. Our highs are right around freezing, with night temps in the teens. Thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I have several chickens with bumblefoot at any one time. Most of the time I don't even realize it unless I pick one up and look for it. The only time I do much about it is when there is a lot of swelling and redness, or if the chicken is limping or seems in pain. The pus inside will turn to a solid cheese-like core, and that is when you can get it out with the surgery. If it needs to be done, you have to do it whenever, but if it is not bothering her that much, just keep an eye on it. You don't want to be soaking feet in extreme cold winter temperatures.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If the infection is not all that bad, you can clean up the area really well, apply some neosporin to it and keep it wrapped for a few weeks. Change the bandages a few times a week. Many times tiny punctures can heal if they can just stay clean and dry.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. Artemesia

Artemesia New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    This seems dry, but I am going to bring her inside and wash and dry them to be sure. I think these probably do have a solid core (only by comparing it to the YouTube vids, and posts here). We have pine needles (Boy. Do we have pine needles), so I'm not surprised to have a gal turn up with a bumble, but I've not yet needed to address the matter. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by