Bumblefoot Adventure and Treatment *Graphic Photos*

MrsBrooke

Songster
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Magnolia, Texas
Friday evening, we treated our Little Mama for bumblefoot. It was pretty routine. :)

Things to have ready:
  • Scalpel
  • Saline water
  • Paper towels
  • Gloves
  • Extra gloves
  • Neosporin
  • Gauze
  • VetWrap
  • Another pair of hands

We pulled off the scab and revealed the infection underneath.

We got the scalpel and cut around that and did our best to trim away any remaining black stuff. There was no "core" in it that we could find.

I wasn't able to take picture of that part, because I was wearing bloody gloves.
sickbyc.gif

We stuffed the wound with triple antibiotic ointment, covered with gauze, and VetWrapped it all in place.

Pretty stylish, if you ask me. (Behold! My garage!)

Here is a picture below of the scab and the "top" of the infection. Once we dug it all out, there really wasn't much of anything else.

We left her bandage on Saturday to give it a chance to heal, scab, whatever.

On Sunday, I noticed she was straining to pass.... something. She hadn't laid an egg, so I figured it was about that time... except for the fact that she had white, stringy mucous dripping from her vent. MrB recommended I leave her be for 30 mins to see if she could pass it, because here I go getting the Epsom salts for the chicken spa.

Fortunately, she passed it. It was a shell-less egg that ruptured upon passing.

To my knowledge, it's the only one of its kind that she has laid. Her appetite is good, she's drinking water, and poops are good and solid. She was exhausted, and I found her sitting in her crate resting. Her spirits were high, though, and she didn't want me to get too close to her... We decided to monitor her.

In the meantime, we needed to change her bandaging. We removed the VetWrap to find her bumblefoot healing surprisingly well.

To be safe, we removed the remaining scab.

(We ran out of gloves - life happens. We were careful not to touch any of the wound without three layers of paper towels between it and our skin. We then washed our hands twice with anti-bacterial soap with a vinegar dip in between washings.)

... And re-bandaged. :)

Forgive the dark photos... My battery was pretty much done and the flash said, "No."

I hope you enjoyed our little adventure. :) We did our best and she appears to be no worse for the wear.

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom