1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot and drawing salve?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmaddie's mom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never had bumblefoot but have been reading alot about it. For you old-timers (no offense) out there, has anyone ever tried a drawing salve? I grew up with a home-made drawing salve (recipe passed down for generations) that I think would be perfect for this problem. For those of you who are not familiar with a drawing salve/black salve, it "draws" out any foreign object in the body... ie. splinter, infection, bee sting or bug bite poison, glass sliver, cat-fish spine, etc., etc.

Opinion, anyone?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

3. mmaddie's mom

guess i'm the only old-timer on here... [​IMG] lol

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Icthamol is indeed your friend... can you even get it anymore?

5. mmaddie's mom

Quote:Never heard of Icthamol (is it what people refer to a black salve?) but I continue to make drawing salve from an old family recipe. [​IMG]

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:YES, my wife went to Walgreen's and asked for Drawing Salve because I wanted to use it in treating my girls bumblefoot. The lady at Walgreen's told her that you can't get it anymore so she sold her something else. When she got home I said "POPPY-COCK!!" So I went down to CVS Pharmacy and their on the shelf they had Icthamol (Drawing Salve".
    I use it after the Epson Salt soak - Tricide-Neo - soaks before I wrap it up I put the drawing salve on, AND IT WORKS!!

7. mmaddie's mom

VERY good to know! If it indeed helps w/ bumblefoot, then we old-timers need to let folks know! [​IMG] Better than surgery!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  8. cornerwinebar1

cornerwinebar1 New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    It was suggested to us by a federally licensed wildlife rehabilitator and we had good luck as well! It was at CVS and we used it after the epsom salt soak...glad to see it posted as I had NEVER heard of a drawing salve.

9. Ohelo Lilikoi

Ohelo Lilikoi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    This is really interesting! So how exactly do u use a drawing salve? Do u just put it on the wound and then cover it up? Or put it on for a few minutes and then wipe it off? I would really like to try this on one of my girls who has bumbles.

10. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    On the instructions on the tube it says; "Apply on gauze bandage once or twice a day. Repeat as necessary. Do not rub or massage affectred area."
    Good Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by