bumblefoot and eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by courtyard92180, Mar 18, 2008.

1. courtyard92180

courtyard92180 New Egg

Mar 16, 2008
    I have a question about bumblefoot. I have a rooster that has this and the infection has spread pretty badly. Is this contagious to other chickens, and if so, will it get into the eggs and infect humans? Does anyone know? Thanks

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    No, it is not infectious, but any kind of health issue can make your rooster infertile. Bumble foot is usually caused by them stepping on something sharp, and getting a piece of it stuck in the foot. I have heard of people successfully removing the object, and the cyst that occurs, but I have never had to deal with it myself.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Bumblefoot is from a staph infection and needs to be properly treated.

4. courtyard92180

courtyard92180 New Egg

Mar 16, 2008
    Thanks,
    I tried to surgically remove the pus from the foot, but the two feet are too gone to save, I think I am going to have to euthanize him, but I don't want to.

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    it is something we all go thru putting our chickens down .
    he would probably be better off than suffering

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Bumblefoot is caused by staph getting into the wound of the foot. Staph is everywhere, it is even on you right now!!!!:eek:

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm at a happy medium with the staph on my skin. [​IMG]

Put this in Emergencies/Disease/Injuries and Cures just in case someone has a better idea of what can be done for the roo.

8. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yep, you guys are right, I forgot, and had to look it up. They get the staph infection from a foot injury. Sorry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by