Bumblefoot and hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the girls club, Aug 12, 2013.

1. the girls club

the girls club Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Well found out that she still has it after trying to clean it out. Found a chicken vet but trying to convince husbund to take her to the vet. I'm afraid that isn't going to happen. So I'll wait and see if it resolves on it's own. Thats what I'm praying for. As it's a staf infection I have been advised with bumblefoot. I was also told it could infect the other chickens How does that happen?. I will isolate her in 8 weeks. I have a dog cage made into a chicken cage that I have a mother and newborns in. So I hope she lives that long and doesn't infect anybody else. Should I try and clean it out again? I hate to put her through that again. But I don't want to loose her. She is still a good layer.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The best way to do it is to get a sharp new scalpel and blade at the feed store--that helps to cut away the black scab after disinfecting with iodine. Then take some tweezers and probe around. Then you have got to really squeeze the heck out of that foot pad and the core will pop out usually if it is ready. The core is what you have to get. Then pack it with iodine, gauze, and either vet wrap or duct tape strips.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't bother isolating that chicken. It is a staph infection, but the staph is on their skin. It causes an infection when they get a tiny cut from a sharp rock on the bottom of the foot.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Can you get a photo of the top and bottom of her foot for us? Can you gently feel it-- does there seem to be a little hard piece inside, a "kernel"? Is there swelling, redness? Does she flinch if you press on it?

There are some things you can do for her-- as mentioned there is no reason to isolate her. It won't help her or the rest of your flock.

5. the girls club

the girls club Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    She had bumblefoot earlier and tried to clean it out. Must of left some infection in one foot. I looked at bumblefoot on this site pictures care of it and it was classic bumblefoot by the pictures. She is limping and looked at the foot and in fection is back stronger than before. I didn't use iodine last time didn't have any. So the poor girl is going to get treated again. She had iot in both feet I discovered. Other foot is great. Must of gotton all the infection out of that foot
    I have read that the other chickens can get it from her. HOW does that happen I mean?

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Bumblefoot is not exactly communicable. It is an infection-- commonly staph-- that enters the chicken's foot via a cut or any other small wound on the foot. She really can't "give" it to other chickens. Staph is a natural flora on chickens, us, and is pretty common. Maybe there is a slightly higher chance that if she has it that she can "spread" the staph she has on different surfaces but based on what I understand about bumblefoot this seems a bit silly. If I am wrong I am open to correction. I think a much bigger factor is a chicken's individual immune response, environmental conditions, and overall health. It's sort of like some people are more prone to skin infections if they get cuts than other people. The difference is, of course, that chickens spend 100% of their time on their feet, and walk through less than clean conditions sometimes. Even in the cleanest coop/chicken run in the world. they will occasionally get soiled feet. Wet, warm conditions seem to make infections much harder to fight off. Heat+moisture is a haven for bacteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by