Bumblefoot and Scaly Leg Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mssmartypantsxx, Feb 3, 2014.

1. mssmartypantsxx

mssmartypantsxx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    Warning!
    We did not do this to her, we bought three chickens and they gave us her for free saying she was a hermaphrodite. Yeah right.

So my chickens leg scales are inflamed and facing out. She also has a scabby wart thing on the bottom of her foot. She can barely walk :( Any way we can help her without losing money? We put the chickens before ourselves, but we barely have money this month.
    These chickens are amazing, so i don't want to loose her. What do i do?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Here is a great post for bumblefoot. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

Bathe the legs and gently scrub the scales, for at home solutions vaseline, bag balm, for scaly leg mites.

Best thing to do is search the forums and read other treatments others have done that you are comfortable or cost wise able to do. I get a bunch of first aid supplies from dollar store, we are either unlucky or accident prone when we are outside doing things.

I would also when able worm them, dust them for mites/ lice in feathers, give beak to vent exam checking for anything out of ordinary. As they were allowed for this to happen there may be some nutritional problems too. WHY they say she is hermaphrodite? She have a vent problem?

Good luck with your girls, they have a good home now.

3. mssmartypantsxx

mssmartypantsxx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    New Zealand
    they don't know about chickens. If you search Minorca hens they have big comb and wattle, i guess they saw she was laying and thought she was both genders. Thankyou for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by