Bumblefoot- at home treatment advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oh daisy, Nov 16, 2016.

1. oh daisy

oh daisy New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

How are female duck has bumble foot. I researched here and elsewhere on how to treat it at home. Treatment began Monday and consists of soaking the foot in Epsom salts water, disinfecting the foot and injury with alcohol, squeezing out any infected gunk, disinfecting again, applying Vetericyn, gauze and wrap w plastic bag then duct tape to protect the foot. On Monday we squeezed out what appeared to be some infection but since then nothing much has come out. There is a hard white marble and we can't tell if it is infection or if it is part of her cartilage or bone. I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed. Do we continue just doing the same? I think an oral antibiotic might help her are those sold at tractor supply over the counter? There appears to be another sore on the same foot should we try and open that up and clean it out as well? Or just continue soaking and leave it alone ? Thanks for any suggestions !

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You may want to add to her treatment clear iodine it really helps bring the bumble out . I really don't like to squeeze since that can bruise the area that is already tender. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures

@oh daisy Welcome to BYC.

3. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I soak in peroxide. For open wounds like that i dilute with sterile water. One drop of iodine every 7-10 days. Cover wound with medical ground manuka honey (exotic vets use it to protect tissue and heal wounds like bumbles).

I don't do bandages unless vet recommends it. My girls are too curious and they'll worry it off the bandaged duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by