1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot caused by bare wood...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensioux, Apr 7, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    We used to have a wooden ramp for the chickens to come out of the coop on. I was dealing with bumblefoot with 2-3 of my chickens. The vet said it was caused by the bare wood ramp or roosts giving the chickens splinters. We switched our ramp to cinder blocks piled like steps and made their roosts out of natural branches. I have not had bumblefoot since.
    Maybe a coincidence but it worked for me.

2. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    could be but i would still be on the lookout

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They can get bumblefoot from ANY abrasion on the foot. I sand and lightly oil my roost periodically, but if they scrape the foot on a rock or walk on the woodpile, it can do exactly the same thing. I'd think concrete blocks, as rough as they are would do it, too. Remember, you can fix everything about your coop but you cannot sanitize and smooth out acreage like many have. Take this from someone who had dealt with bumblefoot on and off for years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by