Bumblefoot Causes - Metal Grid?

sxhexp

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2018
I have read that using Grid Grazing, using a grazing frame, is good for chickens however, I’m concerned that the metal grid will cause Bumblefoot. It is
advised to use the 1/2” grid but, it looks like it would end up aggravating their feet.

Please advise. Thank you!

I’m concerned that the metal grid will cause Bumblefoot

You raised a valid point. I have been using said grid for approximately 7 months. I have stopped using bedding and have a tarp under the grid forming a drop pit on my coop floor. My chickens have wooden roost and other wooden areas to perch on. Bumble foot may be in anyone's future but it has not arrived in mine yet.

Finger X.jpe

'Bumblefoot' is caused by an infection of a wound.
Grazing frames could cause a wound, but so could other things.
It's good to cover the edges of the mesh on grazing frames to help avoid foot wounds.
I have several designs, some 'safer' than others, and have only had one case of bumblefoot here, and not sure it was caused by the grazing frame.
Making them smaller, so the don't have to walk on them to graze, can also reduce risk of foot injury.
@jthornton has the best grazing frames I've seen.

Thank you for your input! That helps me out.
You raised a valid point. I have been using said grid for approximately 7 months. I have stopped using bedding and have a tarp under the grid forming a drop pit on my coop floor. My chickens have wooden roost and other wooden areas to perch on. Bumble foot may be in anyone's future but it has not arrived in mine yet.

View attachment 1327287

'Bumblefoot' is caused by an infection of a wound.
Grazing frames could cause a wound, but so could other things.
It's good to cover the edges of the mesh on grazing frames to help avoid foot wounds.
I have several designs, some 'safer' than others, and have only had one case of bumblefoot here, and not sure it was caused by the grazing frame.
Making them smaller, so the don't have to walk on them to graze, can also reduce risk of foot injury.
@jthornton has the best grazing frames I've seen.[/QUOTE
WOW! This is great information!!
I really like the idea of putting one grid on top of the other until the seeds grow.
I had also not seen trimming the grid top with wood before now. Excellent idea and I will definitely will use it since I really like the idea of covering up the edges and screws.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom