Bumblefoot Causes - Metal Grid?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sxhexp, Apr 6, 2018.

1. sxhexp

sxhexp In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2018
    I have read that using Grid Grazing, using a grazing frame, is good for chickens however, I’m concerned that the metal grid will cause Bumblefoot. It is
    advised to use the 1/2” grid but, it looks like it would end up aggravating their feet.

Please advise. Thank you!

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    You raised a valid point. I have been using said grid for approximately 7 months. I have stopped using bedding and have a tarp under the grid forming a drop pit on my coop floor. My chickens have wooden roost and other wooden areas to perch on. Bumble foot may be in anyone's future but it has not arrived in mine yet.

Finger X.jpe

sxhexp likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Bumblefoot' is caused by an infection of a wound.
    Grazing frames could cause a wound, but so could other things.
    It's good to cover the edges of the mesh on grazing frames to help avoid foot wounds.
    I have several designs, some 'safer' than others, and have only had one case of bumblefoot here, and not sure it was caused by the grazing frame.
    Making them smaller, so the don't have to walk on them to graze, can also reduce risk of foot injury.
    @jthornton has the best grazing frames I've seen.

sxhexp, jthornton and Hokum Coco like this.
  4. sxhexp

sxhexp In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2018
    Thank you for your input! That helps me out.

5. sxhexp

sxhexp In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: