Bumblefoot-does it need to be treated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sue Gremlin, Aug 12, 2018 at 4:13 PM.

1. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster 5 Years

Jan 1, 2013
    I have an older girl with bumblefoot. She has pea-sized swellings between a couple of her toes, and one fat ankle. She's getting around ok with a barely perceptible limp, and is certainly eating enough. I was thinking of just watching her and intervening if it gets to the point where she's in pain and I have to do something.

Have you ever let it go? Did it resolve on its own?

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I have treated several of my girls for bumblefoot. It is definitely not something that you should let go, due to the staph infection that will spread if not treated. Does she have a scab on the bottom of her foot???? Pic would be a great help! Nonetheless, I would give her a 15-30 minute warm soak in Epsom Salt then check to see if the scab can be removed......then you will have to apply Vetericyn spray to the area before digging out the pus. Once you go digging tho, you will need to be sure the area is clean and wrapped before putting her back outside. Depending on the severity of the infection, treatment can last for weeks.

3. Sue Gremlin

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks!

4. Sue Gremlin

Jan 1, 2013
    I realized I didn't answer your question: She has a scab on the bottom of both feet. It's definitely an infection/bumblefoot in both feet. I can use surgical scrub and sterile instruments to clean out her feet, so that's no worry. I just feel like it's going to be so stressful on her. She's the boss and does not care for being handled.
    This same chicken has symptoms of trichomoniasis, so I have to treat her (and her sisters) for that, too.
    I'll get on it. :)

5. Chick-N-Fun

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Good luck with her! Keep us posted with her progress. Pictures would be great!!!!!

6. Sue Gremlin

Jan 1, 2013
    I'll try to take pics and get video of the surgery. I am not sure when I'll do it, but soon.

7. Chick-N-Fun

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: