Bumblefoot frustration

fredfeathers

Hatching
Jun 16, 2016
Help please with your suggestion. Our girl, Martha Washington had a case of bumblefoot on her toe. We soaked,cleaned, cut the kernal out and sqeezed lots of infection out. Triple antibiotic ointment applied with guaze and would wrapped on Sunday.
We looked at her yesterday, 3 days later, and it seemed still very swollen with a blue hue, probably bruising. But I was surprised how swollen still is.
Question how long before the foot would resume back to regular appearance? With that, her pain would be gone. TIA

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
This was in the toe you say, not the pad? When birds get it in the toe, it is best to get them on antibiotics. For some reason, the toe infections can lead to blood infections and kill the bird. I would get her started on Penicillin G injections. Use a 20 gauge needle, if she is of standard size bird, I would give her 1/2 ml once a day in the breast meat. Alternate left breast right breast for one week.

Keep the wound clean, dry, change the bandages once a day, apply antibiotic ointments and keep her inside and clean as best you can.

And definitely post in our emergency section too for more help. Good luck and I hope you can get her back to good health soon! :)

It takes a long time to cure. 3 days is nothing, weeks is more likely.
Surgery isn't used as often by vets any more because it can slow improvement.

Soak the foot a couple times a day in warm Epsom salts.
A CEH cream has proven to be effective with other species. Calendula, Echinacea and Hypericum.

http://www.oocities.org/gymnogyps_gray/bumblefoot2.html

Antibiotics aren't a bad idea but Gail Damerow used to recommend injecting into the bumblefoot wound.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You got some good advice here, so I'll add is good luck and hope she's better soon!

Back
Top Bottom