Bumblefoot frustration

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fredfeathers, Jun 16, 2016.

1. fredfeathers

fredfeathers New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Help please with your suggestion. Our girl, Martha Washington had a case of bumblefoot on her toe. We soaked,cleaned, cut the kernal out and sqeezed lots of infection out. Triple antibiotic ointment applied with guaze and would wrapped on Sunday.
    We looked at her yesterday, 3 days later, and it seemed still very swollen with a blue hue, probably bruising. But I was surprised how swollen still is.
    Question how long before the foot would resume back to regular appearance? With that, her pain would be gone. TIA

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your bird. [​IMG] This was in the toe you say, not the pad? When birds get it in the toe, it is best to get them on antibiotics. For some reason, the toe infections can lead to blood infections and kill the bird. I would get her started on Penicillin G injections. Use a 20 gauge needle, if she is of standard size bird, I would give her 1/2 ml once a day in the breast meat. Alternate left breast right breast for one week.

Keep the wound clean, dry, change the bandages once a day, apply antibiotic ointments and keep her inside and clean as best you can.

And definitely post in our emergency section too for more help. Good luck and I hope you can get her back to good health soon! :)

2 people like this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It takes a long time to cure. 3 days is nothing, weeks is more likely.
    Surgery isn't used as often by vets any more because it can slow improvement.

Soak the foot a couple times a day in warm Epsom salts.
    A CEH cream has proven to be effective with other species. Calendula, Echinacea and Hypericum.

http://www.oocities.org/gymnogyps_gray/bumblefoot2.html

Antibiotics aren't a bad idea but Gail Damerow used to recommend injecting into the bumblefoot wound.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please follow 2Crows advice.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You got some good advice here, so I'll add is good luck and hope she's better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by