Bumblefoot healing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dahlia333, Nov 25, 2011.

1. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    Hi there,

I thought my chicken, Clem, had bumblefoot because her foot pad was puffy and when I cleaned her foot I could see the black scab. She is not limping at all.
    Today, when I cleaned her foot the black scab was no longer black...it was more flesh toned but I can still see the outline of it. Is her foot healing on its own? In the picture below, it is the foot on the upper left. I picked at it a bit and took some skin off but didn't cut into her foot. I sprayed it with Vetericyn and wrapped it.

What do you think? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Her foot is fine, nothing to worry about. Sometimes even if there's a scab, it doesnt necessarily mean it needs to be treated, minor surgery etc...However if they are limping, redness, and swelling on the footpad...it's time for minor surgery and possible antibiotic treatment.

3. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    Thanks...good to hear!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It looks good. I wouldn't fuss with it unless she is showing signs of problems, but she shouldn't. That foot looks fine.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by