Bumblefoot, help me figure the cause

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
Just found that two of my hens have bumbkefoot. One has it on both feet, one on just one. Looks like another hen has the beginnings of it as well.

I can't see that their feet are particularly swollen, just the black scanty thing in the center of the bottom of their foot.

I soaked with Epsom salts, removed black scab, applied gobs of polysporin and bandaged.

So, I'd like to figure out the cause so they can heal and prevent any in the future.

Their roost is a 2x4, 4" side flat up. It's about 3 feet high and has rounded corners. (too high?). No ramp, they just fly up and hop down. There is about 4- 6" of pine shavings below, so nice padding.

They have a penned area with wooden floor that I typically keep about 2-3" of shavings on, but the last few weeks didn't really have much in the way of shavings on. I remedied that today by adding 4" of shavings, but I don't think it was bare long enough to cause a problem (maybe?)

Their run has had pine bark nugget mulch for the last 6 months. I'm guessing this may have been the problem?? the nugget mulch seemed pretty harmless as the chunks are rounded and smooth, but I don't know.

Ideas??

Chickens are going to get bumblefoot at times even if their run is as smooth as silk with not a rock in sight. It just happens. Don't worry about it because you are going to be stressing yourself for no real reason. Monitor their foot health a bit more closely if it will make you feel better. You have done all you can to make their run/coop gentle on their feet.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom