Bumblefoot... how to proceed???

Hholly

Songster
Jul 3, 2015
Amo, IN
Hey y'all! I just acquired a Brahma hen a few weeks ago and noticed a slight limp. So I soaked her foot and noticed a very small scab, about 1/8 inch. After the soak, I gently removed the scab and there seemed to be nothing under it but normal skin. So I wasn't sure how to proceed. The foot pad is swollen though. Well since then her limp has gotten much worse, but the skin still looks normal, swelling is about the same. I can maybe feel something hard deep inside, but I'm really not sure what I'm feeling. I ordered some Tricide Neo because I have read that it is great for bumblefoot. But if there is no opening in the skin for it to penetrate to the infection, will it do any good? Do I need to open up the foot? I ordered one of those biopsy punches to open it if necessary. But I don't feel comfortable doing that without a clear direction on where the infection is.

Does anybody have an idea what my next step should be?
Thanks!

That looks more like bruising to me. Is the pad hard compared to the other pad? Bumblefoot infections make the pad quite red, hard and swollen. I doubt soaking her foot will do anything to help.

How high is your roost bar? If she is jumping down from high places and landing hard, she could be bruising her feet. Does she stand on hard surfaces?

If she were my bird, I might wrap her foot up for a week or two and see if the wrapping and more padding doesn't help heal the bruising. Use vet wrap. Slice the roll into 3/4 or 1 inch slices. Start up on the leg and wind down to the pad, between the toes and back up. Not tightly. Just enough to stay on. You will need to towel her up and lay her in your lap to do this. Feel her foot about 5 mins later to make sure it isn't cold. (Which means you wrapped to tightly).

Watch that this doesn't become bumblefoot. I think if you care for this foot and keep her on soft footing ang grounds, should prevent it from infecting. You might even pad the roost bar with an old towel too. But keep an eye on this until it heals.

Thanks or the replies. I'm going to try some more soaking and wrapping before i cut her foot. I was hoping another scab would come up so I could see where to cut if needed.

Can you post a picture of the pad? Is the pad really hard? If it is just red but still relatively soft, chances are it is not bumblefoot. An infection generally starts from a puncture in the pad. Sometimes a bruising to the pad can cause infection especially if the bruising is continuous like jumping off a high roost. Usually this happens when the skin is really thin on the pad. If a bird is lacking in Vitamin A, they become very prone to pad injuries, thin pads and red and swollen pads. Not all redness and swelling is bumblefoot. The term bumblefoot only refers to an internal infection inside of the pad. If the pad is really swollen and hard, this usually indicates an infection deep in the pad.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the pad? Is the pad really hard? If it is just red but still relatively soft, chances are it is not bumblefoot. An infection generally starts from a puncture in the pad. Sometimes a bruising to the pad can cause infection especially if the bruising is continuous like jumping off a high roost. Usually this happens when the skin is really thin on the pad. If a bird is lacking in Vitamin A, they become very prone to pad injuries, thin pads and red and swollen pads. Not all redness and swelling is bumblefoot. The term bumblefoot only refers to an internal infection inside of the pad. If the pad is really swollen and hard, this usually indicates an infection deep in the pad.
I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks.

Here's the foot.

Oh and cut a small piece of gauze to cover the pad when you wrap her foot. The latex in the vet wrap can irritate the already sensitive pad.

That looks more like bruising to me. Is the pad hard compared to the other pad? Bumblefoot infections make the pad quite red, hard and swollen. I doubt soaking her foot will do anything to help.

How high is your roost bar? If she is jumping down from high places and landing hard, she could be bruising her feet. Does she stand on hard surfaces?

If she were my bird, I might wrap her foot up for a week or two and see if the wrapping and more padding doesn't help heal the bruising. Use vet wrap. Slice the roll into 3/4 or 1 inch slices. Start up on the leg and wind down to the pad, between the toes and back up. Not tightly. Just enough to stay on. You will need to towel her up and lay her in your lap to do this. Feel her foot about 5 mins later to make sure it isn't cold. (Which means you wrapped to tightly).

Watch that this doesn't become bumblefoot. I think if you care for this foot and keep her on soft footing ang grounds, should prevent it from infecting. You might even pad the roost bar with an old towel too. But keep an eye on this until it heals.
The roost is pretty high, 5 feet. She uses a series of steps to get up and down. But she is my first heavy bird and she does land pretty heavily even on the steps. I will see about lowering the roosts. I am already wrapping her foot She has sand footing and straw in the run outside. Thanks for the input. I will see how wrapping works and lowering the roosts. Now I'm starting to wonder if it might be a leg injury too, from jumping off the roost???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom