1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot--ideas needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beetandsteet, Oct 18, 2016.

1. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    The single biggest pain-in-the-butt illness in raising chickens for me has been bumblefoot. Lots of Staph must be in the soil around here, I don't know. I've done numbers of bumblefoot "surgeries" in the past, and the recovery rate from that is usually only around 50%. Also, the bumblefoot almost always comes back on those I operate on. Does anyone have any better way to effectively cure bumblefoot in chickens? As I write, I have at least 5 hens in my flock of 70+ with bumblefoot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
  3. Gwynevere

Gwynevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Usually when I get bumblefoot on my birds I totally clean out the infected scab/foot. Then I spray it down with Vetericyn and wrap it. I don't know if that's something you've tried yet but it usually works in at least reducing the size of the infection.

4. The Lugo Family

The Lugo Family New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    East Orlando
    For five days in a row, I cleaned their feet and put olive oil on it. It has cleared and it hasn't comeback as of yet. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by