Sing Brightly
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Aug 1, 2015
Europe
My Coop
My Coop
So, unfortunately, it looks like the cause of the severe limp in my Silver Appleyard duck, Hailey, is bumblefoot. Seems to have been a rather sudden onset, with swelling and limping coming on in just a week or two. I have dealt with it in chickens before but it was just peel off the scabby bits and shoo them off, rather than the swelling and rather evil looking plug I see now. I have not brought her inside yet but I will get pictures when I do. Should I remove as much yuck as I can (without cutting if possible) and bandage with topical antibiotic ointment? I do not have any injectable/oral antibiotic and it would be quite difficult to acquire any. Thanks for any advice you might have.

@casportpony

So, unfortunately, it looks like the cause of the severe limp in my Silver Appleyard duck, Hailey, is bumblefoot. Seems to have been a rather sudden onset, with swelling and limping coming on in just a week or two. I have dealt with it in chickens before but it was just peel off the scabby bits and shoo them off, rather than the swelling and rather evil looking plug I see now. I have not brought her inside yet but I will get pictures when I do. Should I remove as much yuck as I can (without cutting if possible) and bandage with topical antibiotic ointment? I do not have any injectable/oral antibiotic and it would be quite difficult to acquire any. Thanks for any advice you might have.

@casportpony
Pictures first, then I will feel more comfortable making a comment.:D

so sorry to hear about your duck... I just went through that with my duck also! She was limping also & had a large, yucky plug. After a month and a half of almost daily Epsom salt soaks & a couple rounds of gently removing the plug, I am happy to say that she has made a full recovery! Pic is of Brownie & her sister, Cupcake on Thursday, enjoying the first warm day we had in a long time!
20180111_122617.jpg

so sorry to hear about your duck... I just went through that with my duck also! She was limping also & had a large, yucky plug. After a month and a half of almost daily Epsom salt soaks & a couple rounds of gently removing the plug, I am happy to say that she has made a full recovery! Pic is of Brownie & her sister, Cupcake on Thursday, enjoying the first warm day we had in a long time!
View attachment 1234974
:love How pretty!

:love How pretty!

Thank you! They are good girls! :)

Aww! Poor baby! She is a beautiful girl! :love
I'll defer to the pros for specifics, but I can share that I was absolutely terrified to do Brownie's "surgery" but the guidance of @casportpony & @Ravynscroft on another thread helped me immensely! It couldn't hurt to start with the Epsom Salt soaks, though since she's already inside!

Thank you! They are good girls! :)

Aww! Poor baby! She is a beautiful girl! :love
I'll defer to the pros for specifics, but I can share that I was absolutely terrified to do Brownie's "surgery" but the guidance of @casportpony & @Ravynscroft on another thread helped me immensely! It couldn't hurt to start with the Epsom Salt soaks, though since she's already inside!
Any advice as to how to get a spazzed 7 lb duck to sit nicely in a bowl of water?

Oh why couldn't this have happened to the littlest one...

Back
Top Bottom