Bumblefoot in duck?? unsure!!?! :(

Bruv

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
hey yall so my Khaki Campbell duck (mocha) has been limping for a while and I went to check on her foot and saw this mass, Ive done some reaserch on it. Its bumblefoot? It should have a black scab but I dont see one? My dad thinks he saw one a while ago but its gone now. I soaked her foot in epsom salts for about 10 minutes and hopefully that helped her pain. It’s supposed to be squishy and warm right? its like a mass in there, its hard and im not sure what to do. Do we have to cut it out? Can this be solved at home or does she need more help? anything recommends help pls and ty😭

Attachments

• B5E20150-8B30-4ECC-AAD1-2CE0DAA74A82.jpeg
    B5E20150-8B30-4ECC-AAD1-2CE0DAA74A82.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 39FB339F-1C62-4FFE-9DC6-2C477602E70B.jpeg
    39FB339F-1C62-4FFE-9DC6-2C477602E70B.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 8
Looks like an early case of bumblefoot but the size doesn't I would soak in Epsom salt 2 or 3 times a day for 30 mins if possible and see what happens I would give it a week doing that and then see where you are from there

I would just keep up with soaking for now. I don't see a plug which is interesting, but it definitely looks like an infection. You can treat with neosporin and wrap it - keep her as dry as possible while wrapped. Then repeat.
But, maybe this needs some extra TLC.

@AstroDuck
@Miss Lydia

Okay my Runner had one like that. I ended up taking her to the vet for antibiotics and Meloxicam she took the antibiotic for 7 days with no change so I decided to open it up using a scalpel. I made a small slit and popped that kernel out. Put antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it up till healed kept her from getting in the pool also. She finished her antibiotic after surgery. If you don't think your comfortable opening it I'd rec a vet. They can give you the antibiotic and also the meloxicam for pain and inflammation. Most bumbles I have worked on were my chickens this was a first for me with my duck. I'd never seen a bumble like hers.
FD8EB605-2C37-47EB-AF7F-C1E5A7C30D4A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom