Bumblefoot in our Pekin, Lucy

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
Our one year old duck, Lucy, has Bumblefoot. I've ordered shoes from Nettie and I'm waiting for them to come. There are no vets that will see her around here and we've been taking care of her ourselves. She's had the bumblefoot almost 2 weeks now and I'm really starting to worry because she's had this infection for so long.

We're using Neosporin, cleaning the wound 3 times a day. Letting her soak in the tub as often as she wants.

She's usually such a sweet friendly girl but now when she sees us she runs in th other direction because she knows its going to mean pain for her. I just want to cry. I know she got this because of the terrain we have here. Hubby feels horrible because he thinks its his fault because if he kept the duck house cleaner this wouldn't have happened but he literally cleans it 3 to 4 times a week with fresh hay.

She's inside even though she wants to be outside with her flock. She quacks at the front door calling for them. After we clean her foot, we put vet wrap on her foot so she can walk around our house. Is there anything else we can do to help her??

She's feverish from time to time. I can feel her bill, feet, and legs and they're really warm. What else can I do for my girl until her shoes from Nettie get here??

Laurie

You could put her on an antibiotic if you really think she has a fever. Did you cut it open and get the junk out of it? Ruth has a really good post on how to do the surgery. You can also soak her foot in epsom salts. You can dress it and let her go out with her friends.

Yup, cut it open. It keeps resealing. We've let her out with vet wrap on and she came back in a mess later that night. I'm going to see if I can find a vet to get some antibiotics for her.

I'll have to take some pics of her foot tonight when I do her foot. She's in the bathtub right now. I just feel so badly for her. She's such a good girl!

Laurie

Hopefully some duck person can give you advice, I'm only familiar with chicken feet
smile.png

I do think all that bathing she does is probably a good thing!

Last edited:
I would try tea tree oil on it. Tea tree oil works an alot of infections, also epsom salt soaks.

Careful! I think someone posted a while ago about tea tree oil causing a reaction/being toxic to chickens (it was awhile back in diseases/emergencies forum).

Try Pen-g injections in breast for 5-6 days plus epsom/betadine soaks.

8 of my ducks are still healing up from it after 2 months (almost) of intensive treatment. I have very thorough records and pics I can email you. PM me w/your email address. I had a lot of help from my vet, Peter Brown, my Dept. of Ag tester and Nettie's shoes. I got 4 pairs of shoes from her so half of them have been wearing them 24/7, half are not. You should see the difference we have made! I'm waiting for 2 more pairs from Nettie. After all this I must be an expert on Bumblefoot!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom