Bumblefoot in Quail (Includes images)

Jerank

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
I have a quail that has recently developed a case of bumblefoot. Following some guides I saw online, I gave it a bath in Epsom salts and removed the plug, then cleaned the interior extensively with antiseptic liquid and antibacterial soap. Since then the swelling has not decreased, but the nature of the injury seems to have changed. When I opened it up initially, the interior of the swollen area was quite yellowed and dull. As it healed over however, it started turning red. Today I gave the foot another bath in Epsom salts and gently removed the second plug to reveal soft pink tissue beneath and little evidence of yellow, dead tissue.

The bird in question can still walk on the foot and is acting normally. He still eats and drinks fine and can walk without a limp, but at night he almost always chooses to draw the affected foot up and perch only on his healthy one. He doesn't react in any pain from having the area touched or manipulated, but he clearly feels pain when it's squeezed with relative firmness. After giving the affected area a second cleaning with antiseptic, I left him alone for a few hours and then took a few photographs of the result. Sorry for the relatively low quality; it's hard to hold a bird and take pictures at the same time, but hopefully these give an indication of the situation. Note: These are all after the plug was removed. Before it was just a smooth, dull red patch of hard skin over the recessed area.

DSC_0603.JPG

DSC_0607.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

My question is basically; is this a sign of healing, or a worsening infection? If the latter case is true, can I do anything else for him? I keep other farm animals and I have access to Ivermectin, which I have heard has antibacterial properties. Properties which I can't verify because the internet is currently absolutely saturated with astroterf about it due to it being a possible treatment for Covid, and all I get are dozens of pages of scam websites trying to sell me pills of it for $150 a roll. ****ing infuriating. I live in the EU, so please be aware that any medication you recommend may have a totally different brand name here.

Taking him to a vet is a possibility, but getting an appointment is an absolute nightmare in my area right now, so potential at-home treatments would be preferred. Unless this image tells more experienced eyes than mine that this bird is a week from death, in which case I promise to book a vet ASAP. He only has three toes on this leg due to getting the 4th pecked off as a chick, hence why I've got him as a pet.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

What type of flooring is in your cage?

Ivermectin is not going to do a thing for this foot.
If anything an antibiotic could be helpful...ivermectin is not an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom