Bumblefoot in week old chick?

toripaige585

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2016
Oregon
I've never come across bumblefoot on a chicken at such a young age...she will be 2 weeks old on Saturday...any ideas if it might be something else?

I wouldn't think an infection could have progressed to the bumble foot stage in a bird so young. Do you see the tell tale black spot on the pad on the bottom of the foot? Maybe just a sliver? Can you post a pic of the bottom of the foot?

Here is the bottom of her foot. I thought I saw a black spot, but with her being a BSL, I think it's just the mixed coloration of her yellow and black legs. She's got the same swelling and redness (smaller in size) on her other foot as well in the same spot -between her inside and middle toes-. Her and 4 other babies were recently moved from a plastic tote brooder to a repurposed wood crate brooder, with pine shavings for bedding. None of the other chick in the same brooder are having this issue.

Honestly, I'm not sure of the exact temprature right now. Our thermometer died the other day so I've just been monitoring their behavior and letting them show me if they're too hot or cold. No issues so far, everyone is active, eating and drinking well and sleeping comfortably.

Sometimes they can get gout from their brooder being too hot ..

Joints may be enlarged, stiff, and painful, and the bird may continually shift weight from one foot to the other and have a shuffling gait. The bird may be unable to perch and so remains on the floor of the cage. If the wings are affected, the bird may be unable to fly. If other internal organs are involved, there may be a decrease in appetite, lethargy, weight loss, and abnormal droppings. The bird may show a change in temperament, or die suddenly.

Again, she is eating, drinking and behaving normally. No noticeable weight loss, normal poop, etc.
The frustrating part is that all of the possible issues I've researched have the same symptoms. It's like I'm going to have to "wait and see" and let it get worse before I can figure out what to do. That just sounds and feels like such a terrible idea though.

Yeah unfortunately it is like that sometimes .. I'd let a few days past and just watch to see if it gets worse .. chickens are pretty amazing animals!
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom