Bumblefoot Infection Still There?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mogoer1, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Mogoer1

Mogoer1 In the Brooder

Nov 21, 2017
    Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting, so hopefully I’m doing this right.

About a month ago we noticed our barred Plymouth Rock hen was limping and had a scab on her foot. We were able to conclude that she had bumble foot, so we worked on extracting the infection. We were able to remove the kernel, and couldn’t find anything else inside to hint that the infection was still present. So we wrapped it up and hoped for the best.

Now about a week or two later, a new scab has formed and it still looks pretty black to me! And she is still limping (not as bad as before however). We need advice, do we try to remove it again? Or is it something that’ll go away on its own?

We don’t have an avian veterinarian around us, unfortunately we have to do all the work ourselves.

Thanks F8416E3B-24C3-455D-8874-A7ECFB4DCB97.jpeg

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Hi there and welcome.
    When you removed the scab did you get a good size chunk of cheesy type gunk out too?

3. GinaNew York

GinaNew York Songster

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    if you look on the chicken chick site she has a way of "operating" on this and wrapping - we had something that was similar with our girl recently and started soaking the foot for five minutes in Epsom salt and water then spraying with the vetericyn plus spray and after that dried coating with the blukote - every day - twice a day and it seems to have resolved it - she started walking right after two days and the skin is flat - start with this approach - you need two people though and rubber gloves, the blukote sprays everywhere - even after the foot seemed ok, it was sprayed twice a day for two more weeks (I would think if this doesn't help in a day or two at most, you need to do something more aggressive like on the chicken chick site or see a vet) http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Mogoer1 likes this.
  4. Mogoer1

Mogoer1 In the Brooder

Nov 21, 2017
    Yes we pulled it out, and looked for more but couldn’t find any. Just worried because he scab is still black

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Sometimes it take a little while to heal...it looks like a pretty deep hole.

I would probably soak it in epsom salt baths for a few days and see if that helps draw anything else out.

Mogoer1 likes this.
  6. Mogoer1

Mogoer1 In the Brooder

Nov 21, 2017

Thank you so much, will try this approach

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. GinaNew York

GinaNew York Songster

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    wonderful - it's important to be very religious because it's bacteria and you want to hit it hard - both the vetericyn plus and blukote are in tractor supply and are wonderful, especially together, just be so careful with the spray, it's a wide spray and gets everyone - you WILL have a blue bird. Even if it seems better, do an extra couple of weeks and spray down the roosts with a Clorox solution daily - I believe in that because they're holding on with a foot full of bacteria - Epsom salt is incredible too, it will soften and draw it out - Wear gloves, it's bacteria and you'll turn blue too!

Mogoer1 likes this.

8. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Are you still wrapping her foot? How often do you look at it?
    Very important the hole in her foot doesn't get infected by bacteria from what she walks on.

If you had to carve out the kernel it could take up to 8 weeks for the hole in the foot to heal and the scab to fall off.
    Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't swell any more or get angrier looking and redder.

9. chrissiemids

chrissiemids In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    My chuck has a recurring scab.have cut it out a couple of times.never any gunk,just hard scan.flesh underneath is clean and healthy looking. No swelling . Not hot. Getting on for a year now we keep wrapping up.

10. GinaNew York

GinaNew York Songster

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    We dealt with once. Scabs on both feet. Our girl was limping and not getting in the nest. My daughter soaked the feet every night for a few weeks in epsom salt and water then sprayed with veterycin plus an then blukote. We never dug or wrapped. After two weeks we just continued the vetericyn and blukote two more weeks. The scabs disappeared.

Maybe this might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by