1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot? Is it gone? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mavrik, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    One of my hens was limping and this is what I found, this is after soaking and cleaning with a toothbrush.
    [​IMG]

It removed in one big chunk, the white area is where it was attached. The pad is slightly swollen.
    [​IMG]
    All the info I've seen there is suppose to be a chunk inside. At this point, I'm not sure if I should pick more. As you can see there was no bleeding.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Chickens? WOW

Chickens? WOW Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Western Montana
    I have no idea on bubblefoot but just giving you a bump! All I can say is give that poor baby some more goodies to make her feel better, poor thing!

3. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    No I wouldn't pick anymore looks like you got it! Good job. I am sure you made her feel better

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've successfully treated bumblefoot many times. Squeeze the heck out of the footpad manipulating it to get any yellow goop/infection out to be sure. Rinse any blood off and continue squeezing and manipulating the footpad til you are satisfied that it all has been removed. Pack the hole in the footpad with neosporin, put a gauze soaked in iodine or betazine over the hole. Then wrap it up with duct tape, not tightly. Two days later, cut through the duct tape and gauze with sharp scissors. Soak the foot in warm epsom salts water. If the redness and swelling has gone down...repeat with packing the hole with neosprin, gauze with iodine or betadine on it and wrap it again with duct tape for the final 2 days. If the swelling hasnt gone down and it's still red, that means there's still staph infection in it. Soak in epsom salt warm water to draw it out for about 20 minutes, then start the squeezing and footpad manipulation again. Repeat the previous procedures til it's healed. Should only take no more than 4 days unless the infection reaches the bone...then nothing can save her after that.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I've never had to deal with it personally, I think I'll go knock on wood now! Best of luck, looks like you are doing a great job!

I should have just said ask Dawg, he is a pro! [​IMG] Hi Dawg!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    I didn't do any squeezing, should I cut first? I got a tiny bit of puss after chunk removal.

Opps, I only spelled it wrong on this post, corrected the title.

7. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:If there's no opening then you'll need to cut first.

8. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    I tried to press the goop out of her foot pad and nothing came out. Picked a tiny bit of goop from the surface and a little dead skin. Her pad is still swollen, but not red/pink. Maybe it's clean?

How long does it take for the swelling to go down after "fixing"?

9. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Look at the bumblefoot sticky in the beginning of this forum. There are pics there of what you need to do.
    The white hole that seems to have some pus coming from it is where you will go in. use a good tweezer or a dental instrument. spray it with bactine and massage it well. You want to really knead it so that you break up the pus.
    squeeze as much of it out as you can get. The bumble is like a corn kernel and its deep inside. If you want to save the chicken you will scrape it out and try to use the tweezers to get as much of the gunk out as possible.
    it will bleed alot! lay the hen on her side on the side of the sink and let the faucet run over her foot while you work.
    I use a jeweler's magnifier that is a headpiece and good light.
    pick at it with the tweezers, being careful of the tendons.
    That bumblefoot looks pretty far gone to me....you wont hurt her by hitting bone, but you can hurt her ability to walk if you acidentally cut a tendon...otherwise, you need to get all the pus out.
    then pack it with neosporin and wrap it with vet wrap (they have it at petsmart and also to order from most of the supply houses...also the pharmacy will have some self sticking bandage but its more expensive than vetwrap and doesnt stay on as well)
    after a few days cut the bandages off and soak again and look closely with the tweezers and dig if you have to. The bumble can hide and there can be more than one.
    There are 5 stages of bumblefoot and by the time youre above stage 3 there is involvement in the bones and tendons....the staph infection (and wear gloves when handling this stuff) will destroy the bones and tendons...Ive seen it happen!
    So get some tools together and start to get the stuff out. Its nasty stuff...and the staph that causes it is everywhere. This is common but if you start to see it around, look for anything like splinters on the roost poles or a dead thorn bush.
    any small nick in the foot can cause this...so look around...
    Take pics and let us know how it goes.

10. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    sorry, I dont see that bumblefoot thing in the sticky now...here is the link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

I have some pics too if you want, just email me.
    You really want to hollow the footpad out. the pad usually doesnt have alot of meat in it anyway and thats all pus in there now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by