bumblefoot-is it too late?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NattyK, Jul 11, 2010.

1. NattyK

NattyK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Before I went on vacation I posted a topic about my roo that had red sores and cracks in his hocks. We were treating with peroxide and it seemed to be getting better. Now that I am home from vacation I can see what looks like bumblefoot on the back of his foot and he is limping again. I am thinking the infection that I saw initially in his hocks was caused by an undiagnosed case of bumblefoot. His hocks look worse than before. I have never had this happen, but we recently moved and the soil is very rocky and we have a lot of burrs and stickers. How do I know if it is in the bone? Should I even put him through the surgery/shots/wrapping or should I cull him? I don't like him very much, he is kind of a turd rooster, but he does keep a good watch on our hens. When is it too late?? Thanks for your input!
    ps We only have a CAL Ranch store here, I am pretty sure I can only get PenG, would this work on Staph?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You know I've had a few cases of bumblefoot in my flock. The thing is, the cases I treated ended up no better than the cases I didn't treat. The untreated cases healed up on their own. Whether it was because they were mild cases or ?? I don't know. [​IMG]
    I think Penicillin must work on it, because that's what my "chicken doctor" neighbor gave me for what we originally thought was bumblefoot, but turned out to be something else.
    If you don't like the roo, you and only you can make the decision about whether or not it's worth the time and effort for you.
    I happen to consider my roo the most valuable member of my flock. He's a jerk at times, grumpy now in our extreme hot weather, but valuable still. He has a thus far undiagnosed foot/leg problem (not bumblefoot) that I have been treating off and on for over a year now. I'll probably continue to treat it until a.) it's cured once and for all or b.) he dies of old age or other malady.

3. NattyK

NattyK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I probably would just treat it by soaking if it weren't in his hocks. We went and got some PennG, we are getting ready to work on him. I was wondering if anyone had success with PennG and bumblefoot. Thanks, Nat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by