1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot - my rooster had it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joebryant, Sep 17, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Seems like when it rains it pours. Three years and hardly any health problems, but we now have the third in one month.
    My black rooster has been walking with a slight limp for almost two weeks. I though that he had bruised or twisted his leg and that he would be alright shortly. Not so.
    A BYC member, jeb251, was visiting today, saw the rooster walking and said, "I bet it's bumblefoot." I'd heard the term, but I didn't have an inkling of what it meant. jeb251 picked up and showed me a small circle on the foot's pad; that was the core that had to be cut out with a small, super-sharp blade and tweezers. We got the blade, tweezers, paper towels for blood, tube of triple antibiotic ointment, gauze, and tape ready. jeb251 did the operation, starting with cutting around the obvious round core, then cutting deeper and deeper removing all infected tissue. When he was done he applied a lot of the triple antibiotic ointment, wrapped the foot with gauze, and taped it all down. I have to remove the bandaging and replace it every other day for two weeks.
    I put the rooster in the barn in a 4x8 compartment by himself until he's healed. He's on soft wood chips to make it easier to walk 24/7.

Thanks again, jeb251, if you're reading this.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Sounds like he did a good job. Only thing I do differently is after about three days, at most a week, I remove the wrap and let the wound "air heal". Normally the wound has already begun to heal and is covered over after a few days and I find they heal better if left uncovered after that. I also would put the rooster back with his flock. He will get knocked down a peg or two in pecking order every day that he's away. Plus, they get stressed when taken away and isolated and heal better when with their flock.

On my bumblefoot thread I show how to wrap the foot so that they can still get full use of it and their toes and still roost - so no need to isolate them.

3. joebryant

Thanks, Ruth, your instructions will really come in handy the next time, especially after my having watched jeb251 perform it live.
    Bring on the bumblefoot!

4. joebryant

Ya know what? It just occurred to my after this experience that I have no idea of what causes bumblefoot. Will somebody please explain it to me.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It can be a splinter, thorn, a gumball from a sweetgum tree(like I have in my yard) that penetrates under their footpad an gets infected. Like if we get a splinter in our finger, it gets infected and has to be dug out. (I dig out my own splinters before they get infected and put rubbing alcohol on it lol)

6. joebryant

Quote:It can be a splinter, thorn, a gumball from a sweetgum tree(like I have in my yard) that penetrates under their footpad an gets infected. Like if we get a splinter in our finger, it gets infected and has to be dug out. (I dig out my own splinters before they get infected and put rubbing alcohol on it lol)

Thanks, dawg53. Seemed like jeb251 said that, but I wasn't sure because I was concentrating on his doing the operation while he was talking.

7. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Ruth, do you have a link to your bumblefoot thread?

Quote:Sounds like he did a good job. Only thing I do differently is after about three days, at most a week, I remove the wrap and let the wound "air heal". Normally the wound has already begun to heal and is covered over after a few days and I find they heal better if left uncovered after that. I also would put the rooster back with his flock. He will get knocked down a peg or two in pecking order every day that he's away. Plus, they get stressed when taken away and isolated and heal better when with their flock.

On my bumblefoot thread I show how to wrap the foot so that they can still get full use of it and their toes and still roost - so no need to isolate them.

8. joebryant

howlinggood, here's here post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

9. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hi Joe, I'm glad to hear 'my' or um aw, I mean your rooster is doing good, any plans on a vacation or anything like that in the near future, you guys could use one, I'll check in on the birds for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,muhahahahahaha your getting sleepy very very sleepy

10. joebryant

Quote:Not sleepy enough to not let off some buckshot. Ya ain't gettin' my black rooster. Thanks for taking the crowing maniac, Elvis, though. You should make a video and enter him in the rooster crowing contest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by