Bumblefoot Need Advice!!! Update,I Did The Surgery!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Mar 13, 2011.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    hello,ive got i silkie that i just realized has bumblefoot.it looks bad to me but shes acting fine.no limping,doesnt seem to be in pain.shes running,scrating,digging in the dirt.the only reason i saw it is because she had something stuck to her so i flipped her over to cut it off and saw the brown raised circle.my question is,should i leave her alone as long as shes acting ok and keep an eye on her,or do i definitely need to do the surgery?i really dont want to do the surgery,im not sure i could do it..
    thanks for any advice...

well i got the hard callous part off but there was no plug that came with it.i also couldnt get anything out of it.so i guess that means either i caught it real early before alot of infection set in,or i did it wrong.i really didnt feel comfortable doing it.so i put a whole lot of neo,no pain in the hole and wrapped it.it was so dark by the time i was done i just put her in a cage in the living room with food and water and covered the cage.ill put her back out in the morning.if it isnt healed in a few days maybe ill just take her to the vet...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    BF does not always need surgery... but yes it needs attention

have someone hold the chicken and bathe the foot to really have a look at the size of the plug.

because the bathing will soften it you may be able to take the scab off and squeeze it gently like a pimple and push the plug out.

If you are successful they but an anti biotic ointment (not one with a pain killer though they are dangerous to chickens) wrap with gauze or vet wrap and keep it clean and dry

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:thanks dar.if i cant take the scab off,then the surgery? can she stay out with the flock after shes rapped?we just bleaned the coop so the bedding is all new.

4. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Clean and soak her foot good, and if you can post a pic after... you should be able to see how bad... and go from there.

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    can i cut the feathers around her feet or are they pin feathers and will bleed?she has mud balls from all the rain we have had.shes a silkie.
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by