BUMBLEFOOT??? need help fast! Vet opinion???

basketballndl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
I posted my problem yesterday and someone told me that it is bumblefoot i'm dealing with. I'm just not sure yet. I need someone with experience or maybe a vet.
~Two days ago i noticed my Silver Dorking Rooster laying down alot. I didn't think much of it other than maybe he was hot from the weather. When i went out yesterday, he came out of the coop limping. I snatched him up to look at his foot and found a Pea sized growth on his toe. It wasn't pink or sore looking but it was definitely effecting him. Now, he's a dorking so he has 5 toes on each foot. His "5th toe" is located directly under his spur. It doesn't come in contact with the ground. But my main confusion comes in when i googled the problem and looked at pictures. All of the pictures of bumblefoot had the growth on the bottom of the foot. Is it possible that it could appear on the toe? This morning when i let them out of the coop he was the last one out and didn't come over to the fence to attack me as usual. I also noticed that the growth is a little bit larger than it was yesterday.

Can my other chickens get what he has??
Is it even bumblefoot?

sad.png

Are you able to post a picture? Many here would be able to help you if they could see exactly what you are talking about. Bumble foot is a staph infection, I believe. There is usually a dark scab on the bottom of the foot, but I'm not sure what you would see in the earlier stages before the scab develops.

Bumblefoot can happen anywhere on a chicken's body theoretically. Bumblefoot is just a fancy name for a pocket of infection like an abscess or a boil. It has a nasty localized core of germs, skin debris and dirt that needs to be pulled out so the infection does not spread to the surrounding tissues. Once the infection spreads you have a very sick bird with a systemic infection.

I have been dealing with bumblefoot for weeks now and I think my hen is finally out in the clear. It sounds like your roo has some sort of infection going on. I do believe that "bumblefoot" is usually on the bottom of the foot, but an infection can happen anywhere where the skin may have been punctured.

Best thing you can do is post a pic if possible so we can get a clear look at what and where it is located, before anyone starts telling you to cut is open.

Sorry that your roo is going through this:(

Crack N' Egg :

I have been dealing with bumblefoot for weeks now and I think my hen is finally out in the clear. It sounds like your roo has some sort of infection going on. I do believe that "bumblefoot" is usually on the bottom of the foot, but an infection can happen anywhere where the skin may have been punctured.

Best thing you can do is post a pic if possible so we can get a clear look at what and where it is located, before anyone starts telling you to cut is open.

Sorry that your roo is going through this:(

I agree< i feel very bad because he is just not himself. I mean it could be other things. like just infected...not bumblefoot? i don't know.​

Is there any sort of wound that you can see there? I cannot see one on the photo. Could he have been stung or bitten by a wasp or bee or spider? If you touch or put pressure on the toes, does he act like it hurts?

Quote:
Ditto! Is it warm to the touch? Does the toenail seem especially red at the base? Underneath? You can try soaking it in warm water and epsom salts for about 15 minutes. Pat dry then put a little pressure on it to see if you can find an opening. (kinda like when you get an infected hangnail and need to pull the skin away from the nail so the infection will come out)

It was not swollen around the toenail yesterday. it was like some just stuck a peasized growth to the side of his foot. now today it has gotten bigger and is now swelled more around the toenail.

It seems a little warm. i will post another picture because it is oddly shaped. and i will try soaking it. Thank you all so much!

If it turns out to be bumblefoot. will soaking and cleaning it out get rid of it or do i have to contact bmy vet for antibiotics???

Back
Top Bottom