1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot (no scab) or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessica-reetull, Mar 28, 2017.

1. jessica-reetull

jessica-reetull New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Hi there. My Rhode Island Red hen Juanita has two very swollen, red, hot feet. The swelling has increased since I first noticed it two days ago. There is no scab or wound whatsoever, just swelling, so I cannot see aplace to dig in and start operating to look for a kernal or plug. Where would I make an incision to start looking for a kernal? I don't want to just pick a spot and cut if there is no evidence of scabbing or wound. Help! I am so lost!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I can not help but I can for sure tell you to not just start digging. If she has bumble foot the spot should surface soon.

3. Phoenixsw

Phoenixsw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Is there any way you could post a picture of the feet? I have a Welsummer with chronic bumblefoot. She's gets a tiny dose of anti- inflammatory every 3 days and has had surgery and laser treatment on 2 different occasions. Currently, her foot is swelling again, so we're back to soaking and wrapping.
    Even if there is no scab, you could still soak her foot in a warm Epsom salt/iodine bath, then spray some Vetericyn and wrap it with Vetrap and do that every day for a week or so. That's what we do whenever ours has a flare up. Even with no scab.
    Hope you can get her fixed!

4. jessica-reetull

jessica-reetull New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'll take a picture after work today. : )

5. jessica-reetull

jessica-reetull New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    That's what I thought too. Random digging sounds counterproductive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by