Bumblefoot on both feet and excessive feather loss

YahuahIsLove

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 16, 2012
Need help, I tried to do my first bumblefoot surgery on my girl and she bled and bled and bled for a good twenty minutes while I tried to work the infection out. I got some of the core, some white chunks ( far from all of it judging by the size of her foot) then worried she was going to bleed to death so I packed the hole with triple antibiotic and bandaged her up
Also she's missing about 60% of her feathers, but has all pin feathers. Didn't find any bugs on her. I didn't cut open the other bumblefoot foot either.
Suggestions would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Charlotte

Welcome to BYC :) Sounds like she is molting, which is normal and usually happens this time of year. Sounds as if she is already growing her new feathers (all of those pin feathers you see), so her feather loss is nothing to worry about and she should be feathered out in no time.

I've never done true bumblefoot surgery - one of my hens had bumblefoot but the plug came out rather easily after soaking - so I can't comment on why she bled so much. I've seen posts from others who have done the surgery with hardly any blood loss. I think you did the right thing by stopping, packing with antibiotic, and bandaging. You can examine her foot and see if further treatment is needed after it has had a chance to heal a bit. I don't think it's a bad thing that you're waiting until this first one has healed somewhat, but you will need to deal with that one as well so that it doesn't keep getting worse. Bumblefoot can eventually develop into a systemic infection and kill a chicken.

Hope this helps.

That definitely helps thank you so much, I haven't had any other feedback and the vet mindset up here when it comes to chickens is that they're just cheaper to replace :( good to know about the molting, the flock is molting I've just never seen one that naked lol

Back
Top Bottom