Bumblefoot on right, but limping on left?? (w/pix)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ken3, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Ken3

Ken3 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Folks - Our buff orp Violet started limping on her left leg a couple days ago. She'll stand on the right leg, maybe with the left touching down some, and then when she walks she clearly hobbles on the left. So, we brought her inside to get a good look, and it looks as though she has a good size bumblefoot on the RIGHT, and on the left just a small hard spot, which I'm wondering if it is an early bumblefoot. The top pic is the LEFT (the one she is limping on), the bottom, the right.

[​IMG]
    Above is Left foot

[​IMG]
    Right foot

I'm not sure how to approach this, or why she seems to be limping on the less affected foot? I've read the bumblefoot treatment threads, have a reasonable idea what to do, but am not sure which foot to go after. I'm afraid if I work on her right, she won't be able to walk at all.

If I work on the left, I'm not sure what exactly I am going after since that little pink protrusion (which is hard and smooth, not like the rest of the foot which is soft and has a scaly feel), it doesn't look like the pictures I've seen about bumblefoot. Would I just cut into it and see if there is something to take out?

I could really use some help here - I sure don't want to make her worse!

I appreciate all thoughts and suggestions -

Ken Platt
    Granby, CT

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Clearly the one she's favoring is the most painful.

Where is she housed now and what is the bedding?

3. Ken3

Ken3 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    She is housed in a raised coop, the bedding is sand mixed with wood chips. I try to keep the chips in their nest boxes, but it tends to get mixed in with the sand.

I am with you on which foot is most painful, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with the thing I see on that left foot, whether it needs opening up like a bumblefoot, or something else. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Ken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by